• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rental accommodation - what can I claim (yes, that question again !!!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental accommodation - what can I claim (yes, that question again !!!)

I appreciate this has been asked a million times - and I’ve found “conflicting” evidence on the web - and my accountant keeps giving me different information – so I thought I’d try and get a definitive answer here...

I am renting a flat close to my new contract (paid by my company). My family still live at home. I travel from home/to work Monday morning and return Friday evening.

Can I put the following costs through my company...

(a) Full weeks rental (this seems to a “yes” as it’s impossible to rent Mon to Fri – just thought I’d double check though).
    (b) Utility bills (electric, gas, water).
    (c) Council tax (single occupancy).
    (d) Mileage to work from home (vice-versa Mon and Fri).
    (e) Mileage to work from rental (during week).
    (f) £5 a day living away from home allowance
    (g) Anything else.

Again, apologies for asking what seem to be obvious questions but being told “yes” then “no” then “maybe” is getting confusing. Someone else must have done this.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by Derben View Post

(a) Full weeks rental (this seems to a “yes” as it’s impossible to rent Mon to Fri – just thought I’d double check though).
    Yes - just make sure it's very clear in your accounting records that you do go home Friday to Monday.

(g) Anything else.
    What else do you need?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Accountant told me that because the rental property would become my main residence (as my contract is at a fixed work location), I couldn't put the majority of expenses through my company?

What's the difference in renting a property and stopping in the same hotel every week Would that become my main address !!!

Comment

Accountant told me that because the rental property would become my main residence (as my contract is at a fixed work location), I couldn't put the majority of expenses through my company?

What's the difference in renting a property and stopping in the same hotel every week Would that become my main address !!!
        Get a new accountant. Yours seems to be scared of his own shadow
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you sure he isn't talking about the 24 month rule? How long have you worked in that geographic location?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

TV Licence too. NW told me that I couldn't claim the electricity bill when I had a flat down Bristol.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

I rent near my Client and stay there from Monday to Friday. I claim all the expenses you mentioned apart from the £5 a day living away from home allowance, I guess I could too. I have been working in this location only for the last 5 months though.

I tried hotels for a while and didn't cope well at all, I guess I am not a proper contractor!

Comment

Originally posted by Segush View Post
                I rent near my Client and stay there from Monday to Friday. I claim all the expenses you mentioned apart from the £5 a day living away from home allowance, I guess I could too. I have been working in this location only for the last 5 months though.

I tried hotels for a while and didn't cope well at all, I guess I am not a proper contractor!
                I've previously claimed all of the above except the living allowance - but only becuase I hadn't though of it. I'm presuming this is for phone calls back to home or soemthing like that? If that's the case - get a 2nd mobile - on PAYG (you could do contract but it will cost you actual money, LOL) and bill all the calls to the company.

I'd always taken the view that if I have a fully furnished flat near to work I shouldn't be claiming for meals - as I should do what I do at home and take sandwiches. But I may be wrong.

Oh and hotel VS housing. As a director of your company - you have probably worked out it cheaper to use a rented flat than a hotel - thereby maximising profits on the assignment. If I was employing staff myself - I'd prefer to rent them a house rather than pay hotel bills! In one of my old permy jobs a lot of used to go to the US for 4-6 weeks to do some integration work, and the company decided it was better to hire a 4 bedroom house on a permanent basis than keep paying hotels. Great as it came with a maid, and a cleaner for the pool. :-). We just had to cook out own dinners which was much better than trying to fit a whole american sized dinner into an english stomach.
                Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Company provided "Living accommodation" is a taxable benefit - HM Revenue & Customs: Living accommodation

Accommodation provided as subsistence associated with a valid business journey is not - Q & A: How do I treat lease costs for a property while on a contract away from home? | PCG

You may decide to hold the view that it is the later.

Comment

I appreciate this has been asked a million times - and I’ve found “conflicting” evidence on the web - and my accountant keeps giving me different information – so I thought I’d try and get a definitive answer here...

I am renting a flat close to my new contract (paid by my company). My family still live at home. I travel from home/to work Monday morning and return Friday evening.

(g) Anything else.

Again, apologies for asking what seem to be obvious questions but being told “yes” then “no” then “maybe” is getting confusing. Someone else must have done this.

Many thanks.
                    I would say yes you can to all of those.

Just be aware of the 24 month rule, expenses die as soon as you know that your contract is going over 24 months.

I used to work in London and commute weekends from and to Devon. Claimed all the expenses you mentioned for the first 18 months.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X