• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract terminated whilst ill - do I still get notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract terminated whilst ill - do I still get notice period

I have been off work the past few weeks ill which the company i was working for have been sympathetic too and I had made them aware that I had been signed off until 17th August and would therefore return to work on the 20th August. Yesterday I received notice from my agent that they are giving me 30 days notice and that he was deeply sorry to do this whilst I was ill but given the position I was in, it was critical to have someone onsite during this time. They have asked me to return my laptop / pass etc.. with immediate effect and cancelled my login account.

My question is that as they have given 30 days notice, does this mean as I was planning to return to work on 20th of August, I would be entitled to 3 weeks until 8th September pay and I should submit my invoice for this period as such?

Thanks for your help advice?

Regards

Stuart

Originally posted by slw77 View Post
    I have been off work the past few weeks ill which the company i was working for have been sympathetic too and I had made them aware that I had been signed off until 17th August and would therefore return to work on the 20th August. Yesterday I received notice from my agent that they are giving me 30 days notice and that he was deeply sorry to do this whilst I was ill but given the position I was in, it was critical to have someone onsite during this time. They have asked me to return my laptop / pass etc.. with immediate effect and cancelled my login account.

My question is that as they have given 30 days notice, does this mean as I was planning to return to work on 20th of August, I would be entitled to 3 weeks until 8th September pay and I should submit my invoice for this period as such?

Regards

Stuart
    No.

Ever heard of MOO? It works both ways.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can't bill them if you're not doing any work.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        No.
        +1 the answer is yes but still no.

You've been give 30 days notice of your contract being terminated. However within the next 30 days there is no work for your company to do, so while the contract is in effect for the next 30 days you can't do any billable time to end result is still no pay.

As Mal said. It's the lack of MOO that you want in your contract and this if the risk of it.

Comment

Regards

Stuart
          Why didnt you get a subbie in when you were signed off?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Regards

Stuart
            If you do return to work and work from the 20th of August then yes, otherwise no work = no pay.

Comment

As people have said, MOO does apply so in all likelihood you aint getting nothing. If it was me I'd raise the question though.... They might pay up to prevent any hassle....

But it sounds like they wont and just want someone on site.

Tough but thats the way it works when your a contractor unforunately. Out of interest, how long you been off?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Why didnt you get a subbie in when you were signed off?
                Hmmm. That old chestnut. If OP is like me:-

1) Who would you get to sub?
                2) In reality, client wouldnt be up for it anyway.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Hmmm. That old chestnut. If OP is like me:-

1) Who would you get to sub?
                  2) In reality, client wouldnt be up for it anyway.
                  1) you must know other people with a similar skill set ... unless you're doing something extremely niche
                  2) if its just for a couple of weeks till you get back on your feet then I'm sure client would be happy --- I've done this before when I did a 5 week round the world trip, I was lucky as my replacement had worked at clientco before and had a good reputation...

it is do-able but yes I agree it may not be easy!

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                    1) you must know other people with a similar skill set ... unless you're doing something extremely niche
                    2) if its just for a couple of weeks till you get back on your feet then I'm sure client would be happy --- I've done this before when I did a 5 week round the world trip, I was lucky as my replacement had worked at clientco before and had a good reputation...

it is do-able but yes I agree it may not be easy!
                    1. - Usually in contract, will they give up a long termer for a few weeks...?

2. - read my previous pasts on this - site logins, access passes, mandatory training, it's not going to wash in 95% of cases....

Comment

Working...
                    X