• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

filing / archiving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filing / archiving

Im coming to the end of my first company year contracting through a limited company. I would like to know how people keep their files in order.

I was going to bung everyting for the whole company year in one folder but then started thinking about the tax year too. There is a overlap between tax year and company year.

Do people normally maintain 2 files?

Originally posted by knight007 View Post
    Im coming to the end of my first company year contracting through a limited company. I would like to know how people keep their files in order.

I was going to bung everyting for the whole company year in one folder but then started thinking about the tax year too. There is a overlap between tax year and company year.

If by tax year you mean April to April this is only for personal accounts, your company's tax year is what you should go by
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by knight007 View Post

One file a year for company year. (Sometimes I can't open it without due care at the end of the year.)

One file with dividers for personal tax year.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think i was getting confused with things like p11d and p35 since they are related to the tax year. But i guess they should be filed in the company year file.

Comment

Hmm... how to file paperwork for your business. That is a new one.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Simple. I store paperwork vertically. The thickness of the dust on top of the pile is a good indicator of which year it belongs to and how recently it was accessed. The cleaner is not allowed to dust the study, of course.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can keep soft copies of all information, there's no need to keep boxes of paperwork. I'd recommend keeping one file for the company information and another for tax return information. Forms like the P60 can be copies into both.

The only exception is dividend vouchers - you must keep original copies of those as they contain a tax credit.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
              X