• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entreprenuer life time tax relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entreprenuer life time tax relief

We are a husband and wife ltd company in retail and we are selling the goodwill,fixtures and fittings, stock and the business as a going concern. The company buying us will not buy the shares,are we still entitled to entrepreneurs tax?

Originally posted by Golferjane View Post
    We are a husband and wife ltd company in retail and we are selling the goodwill,fixtures and fittings, stock and the business as a going concern. The company buying us will not buy the shares,are we still entitled to entrepreneurs tax?
    You may be better to ask in Accounting / Legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      You may be better to ask in Accounting / Legal.
      Better still if this is a reasonable amount of money ask an accountant.

Taking a stab at this, ESC ended in March I believe and now you have to liquidate your company but there are some bands of lower tax. You can still claim the first £25k but the rest is seen as shareholder income as normal..

The search below will pick up on 4 or 5 threads discussing it on here but also the articles published on ContractorUK

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liq...rlz=1I7GGLL_en
      Last edited by northernladuk; 7 June 2012, 23:42.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe - HM Revenue & Customs: Capital Gains Tax reliefs for business assets

I'd suggest you go and talk to an accountant, they can then consider your whole tax position.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Golferjane View Post
          So the purchasing company will own the goodwill, fixtures etc. and you'll still own the shares in the company? Doesn't that mean you own the company - or am I just being thick here?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            So the purchasing company will own the goodwill, fixtures etc. and you'll still own the shares in the company? Doesn't that mean you own the company - or am I just being thick here?
            I think the result of this are:-

OP Ltd sells its assets and goodwill to X for£Z
            OP Ltd now has assets (cash) of £Z (plus anything not sold onto X). This sale has CGT implications of its own related to the companys tax position

OP still owns shares in OP Ltd which is now a cash shell

OP liquidates OP Ltd and makes capital distributions (or just takes dividends etc over X years to run the cash down)

Exactly how and when the transactions take place will govern what relief is available. The "business" is distinct from the shareholders. It would would be harsh if relief were not available, but ascertaining the effect of the transactions before entering into them would be sensible.

Comment

Working...
            X