• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses claim if agency terminates early?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses claim if agency terminates early?

Hi

If I have had a signed contract from an agency for a certain period, say 1 May until 1 June, and the client then cancels the contract out of the blue, say one week in, can I hold the agency or client liable for my weekly travel ticket?

I usually buy weekly tickets to save money, obviously it is a waste when the client does this. Is there any legal angles I can use?

Originally posted by jonson View Post
    Hi

If I have had a signed contract from an agency for a certain period, say 1 May until 1 June, and the client then cancels the contract out of the blue, say one week in, can I hold the agency or client liable for my weekly travel ticket?

I usually buy weekly tickets to save money, obviously it is a waste when the client does this. Is there any legal angles I can use?
    Does the Client pay any travel expenses for you? I would assume no so cancelling the contract would make no difference.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hi

I would send an invoice for the expense and see if they pay it...... You have nothing to loose.

And if you are lucky enough they wont pay it and you be a bit safer come to ir35!

Comment

Hi

Nope I Don't think you can. But you can do the following:

Go to where you bought your travelcard and ask for a part refund.
        Claim via your Ltd Co 1/7th (or 1/5th whichever is the correct formula) of the total travel costs.

HTH
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

If you get nothing back, then at least you can chalk it up as part of an IR35 defence since you took a risk and suffered financially as a result.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If you get nothing back, then at least you can chalk it up as part of an IR35 defence since you took a risk and suffered financially as a result.
            No doubt this would not count, since the invoice was not for WORK done. I reckon.

Comment

Getting travel expenses from a client is negative from an IR35 perspective. Being terminated at short notice is positive and will be a plus point.

In any case shouldn't you be working at your business premises?
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Getting travel expenses from a client is negative from an IR35 perspective. Being terminated at short notice is positive and will be a plus point.

In any case shouldn't you be working at your business premises?
                How do you reckon that? I invoice my client for expenses because it is in my contract, they in turn invoice their client, my contract is outside IR35.

Comment

That was one of the lessons from Lime IT case. The judge saw it as a plus point.

Lime v Justin 2002

see point 11 in the judges verdict.

Obviously there are lots of positive and negative pointers. You have to weigh them all up.

Always a good idea to shove up your rate a bit to cover travel expenses.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
                    I would send an invoice for the expense and see if they pay it...... You have nothing to loose. And if you are lucky enough they wont pay it and you be a bit safer come to ir35!
                    Go the whole hog and send them an invoice for the entire duration of the 1 month contract....
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X