• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Travel expenses claim if agency terminates early?"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    I would send an invoice for the expense and see if they pay it...... You have nothing to loose. And if you are lucky enough they wont pay it and you be a bit safer come to ir35!
    Go the whole hog and send them an invoice for the entire duration of the 1 month contract....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    That was one of the lessons from Lime IT case. The judge saw it as a plus point.

Lime v Justin 2002

see point 11 in the judges verdict.

Obviously there are lots of positive and negative pointers. You have to weigh them all up.

Always a good idea to shove up your rate a bit to cover travel expenses.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Getting travel expenses from a client is negative from an IR35 perspective. Being terminated at short notice is positive and will be a plus point.

In any case shouldn't you be working at your business premises?
    How do you reckon that? I invoice my client for expenses because it is in my contract, they in turn invoice their client, my contract is outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Getting travel expenses from a client is negative from an IR35 perspective. Being terminated at short notice is positive and will be a plus point.

In any case shouldn't you be working at your business premises?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you get nothing back, then at least you can chalk it up as part of an IR35 defence since you took a risk and suffered financially as a result.
    No doubt this would not count, since the invoice was not for WORK done. I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you get nothing back, then at least you can chalk it up as part of an IR35 defence since you took a risk and suffered financially as a result.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by jonson View Post
    Hi

If I have had a signed contract from an agency for a certain period, say 1 May until 1 June, and the client then cancels the contract out of the blue, say one week in, can I hold the agency or client liable for my weekly travel ticket?

I usually buy weekly tickets to save money, obviously it is a waste when the client does this. Is there any legal angles I can use?
    Nope I Don't think you can. But you can do the following:

Go to where you bought your travelcard and ask for a part refund.
    Claim via your Ltd Co 1/7th (or 1/5th whichever is the correct formula) of the total travel costs.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    Hi

If I have had a signed contract from an agency for a certain period, say 1 May until 1 June, and the client then cancels the contract out of the blue, say one week in, can I hold the agency or client liable for my weekly travel ticket?

I usually buy weekly tickets to save money, obviously it is a waste when the client does this. Is there any legal angles I can use?
    I would send an invoice for the expense and see if they pay it...... You have nothing to loose.

And if you are lucky enough they wont pay it and you be a bit safer come to ir35!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Hi

Does the Client pay any travel expenses for you? I would assume no so cancelling the contract would make no difference.

Leave a comment:

• jonson
    started a topic Travel expenses claim if agency terminates early?

Travel expenses claim if agency terminates early?

Hi

Working...
X