• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should accountants work like this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should accountants work like this?

Hello,

I started contracting about two months ago and I work with "Planit Services" (planitservices.co.uk) accountants.

I pay them £120 monthly, but all the service I get from them is their website with software which allows me to create invoices, register bank transactions, pay myself salary and dividends etc.

Besides this I merely receive nothing from this agency and any of my questions they just ignore. For example, when I asked them to add my wife as a shareholder to my limited company, they said I need to do it myself via Company House. When I asked them how to issue salary slips and dividend vouchers, they just ignored me.

I am wondering: is it really so that a website + program for accounting costs £120 a month?

Do these things really work like this? Maybe there are cheaper options?
    Last edited by anddrew; 9 May 2012, 12:22.

This is why I don't use an accountant, I use DIY Accounting Software, Payroll Software, Tax Return and most advice can be found with a little bit of research and I am in complete control of my company.

*Don't get me wrong I assume a good accountant is worth their weight in gold
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Simples: moved to Crunch, much cheaper and better service. Their website is awesome and the staff are very helpful and friendly. I pay £70 per month.
      Last edited by administrator; 9 May 2012, 20:10. Reason: Sweeping generalisation...

Comment

Thanks, now I see. I will move to the software option. I just thought that for good payment you can have someone professional dealling with your accounting, but now I understand that such thing does not exist.

Comment

it definitely doesn't sound like you are getting the service you are expecting for your money.

do a search here for recommended accountants, many frequent this board, I would expect that having your questions answered promptly with professional advice is the bare minimum you should expect from an accountant. It seems that you are currently with one that doesn't meet this and so either go with the DIY payroll software option or look to moving accountants.

I was with SJD for several years before moving out of the country and found their service at all times to be helpful and professional. As I said, there are also several other accountants highly recommended on here.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
            Simples: moved to Crunch, much cheaper and better service. Their website is awesome and the staff are very helpful and friendly. I pay £70 per month.
            Or just use the freebie version as I currently am. I may change to the paid version later this year but I'm still trying to find a reason to spend £860 on the very few bits I can't do myself.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am sorry to hear your comments but feel I need to put the record straight.

As per the website, in addition to Freeagent software and support our service includes:

• Company Formation and Registration
              • Registered Office Service
              • Tax Planning Advice
              • VAT Registration
              • PAYE Registration
              • Quarterly VAT Returns
              • Monthly Payroll Administration
              • Dividend Documentation
              • Payroll End of Year Forms
              • Filing of Annual Return
              • Annual Financial Statements
              • Corporation Tax Return

We are a firm of Chartered Accountants and have dealt with more than 15,000 clients since we started in 1996. The vast majority of our clients are extremely happy and give us glowing testimonials.

If your experience has fallen short of our usual high standards please send me a PM so that I can investigate and respond accordingly.

Comment

I used Moulton Johnson. They were okay, then there was a problem when a new guy took over my accounts. They screwed up, made excuses AND had zero accountability. I will NEVER use them again. Owners were just awful to deal with.

Perhaps Adrian might treat the OP better and not shove the blame back to the client. Customer service can be lacking and it would be great when partners recognise screw ups instead of defending poor service.

Am using a female accountant now as I think women are more responsible and have more "accountability" than men!

Comment

Working...
                X