• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1st Year ltd company - what tax is due?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrnoodle View Post
    I've been contract for a while but just recently started my own ltd company. I registered it in October '11 and started invoicing, no problems.

I've been fortunate that so far I've taken less than £6k since October ...
    Assuming this means that you personally have received "less than £6k since October" ...

- Does the client pay directly to a business account held in your Ltd Co.'s name (rather than direct to your personal account)?

- Have you registered the company with HMRC for PAYE?
    If the answer is No to either of these then bend over and get ready to be shafted.

I haven't got an accountant yet but I've have been keep financial records, recipts etc... basically what HMRC advises.
    Best take what you have to an accountant and get it sorted then, eh?
    Last edited by Contreras; 3 May 2012, 00:20.

Comment

No, VAT except at the moment. By the end of the year I expect to have earned enough to pay VAT however.
      Have you not heard of the Flat Rate VAT Scheme then? One way to earn a few pennies from Charging VAT. I would seriously get an Accountant sorted out sooner rather than later. If you don't have time to get an Accountant now, I wonder how much time you will have to do your Corp Tax, PAYE, Expenses, etc., etc. when it comes to your Year End.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I'm going to get one this month, I just wanted some heads up what I should expect this year, I've just been too busy to sort it out.
        Hi,

Definitely get one in place now before your company yearend has passed, that way giving your accountant the best chance of mitigating any corporate taxes you have to pay.

If you had of put one in place before 5th April then there would have been a chance to mitigating any personal taxes or even possibly maximising your tax free dividend allowance but this date has now passed.

Either way I suggest getting one in place now as a good accountant will earn their fees for you in saved taxes.

HTH
        http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          Assuming this means that you personally have received "less than £6k since October" ...

- Does the client pay directly to a business account held in your Ltd Co.'s name (rather than direct to your personal account)?

If the answer is No to either of these then bend over and get ready to be shafted.

Best take what you have to an accountant and get it sorted then, eh?
          the answer to the above is yes and yes. i've been contracting for about 10 years via an umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
            Hi,

Definitely get one in place now before your company yearend has passed, that way giving your accountant the best chance of mitigating any corporate taxes you have to pay.

If you had of put one in place before 5th April then there would have been a chance to mitigating any personal taxes or even possibly maximising your tax free dividend allowance but this date has now passed.

Either way I suggest getting one in place now as a good accountant will earn their fees for you in saved taxes.

HTH
            Agreed.

Comment

the answer to the above is yes and yes. i've been contracting for about 10 years via an umbrella.

And in those 10 years you never decided to get an accountant????

And when you decided to switch over you still didnt bother getting an accountant before u switched?
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Wait till Bolshie sees this. He will have a fit LOL
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Great! So have you filed P35 / P14 yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X