• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1st Year ltd company - what tax is due?"

Collapse

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by mrnoodle View Post
    - Does the client pay directly to a business account held in your Ltd Co.'s name (rather than direct to your personal account)?

- Have you registered the company with HMRC for PAYE?
    the answer to the above is yes and yes. i've been contracting for about 10 years via an umbrella.
    Great! So have you filed P35 / P14 yet?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    the answer to the above is yes and yes. i've been contracting for about 10 years via an umbrella.
    Wait till Bolshie sees this. He will have a fit LOL

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied

And in those 10 years you never decided to get an accountant????

And when you decided to switch over you still didnt bother getting an accountant before u switched?

Leave a comment:

• mrnoodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
    Hi,

Definitely get one in place now before your company yearend has passed, that way giving your accountant the best chance of mitigating any corporate taxes you have to pay.

If you had of put one in place before 5th April then there would have been a chance to mitigating any personal taxes or even possibly maximising your tax free dividend allowance but this date has now passed.

Either way I suggest getting one in place now as a good accountant will earn their fees for you in saved taxes.

HTH
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• mrnoodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Assuming this means that you personally have received "less than £6k since October" ...

- Does the client pay directly to a business account held in your Ltd Co.'s name (rather than direct to your personal account)?

If the answer is No to either of these then bend over and get ready to be shafted.

Best take what you have to an accountant and get it sorted then, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied
    I'm going to get one this month, I just wanted some heads up what I should expect this year, I've just been too busy to sort it out.
    Hi,

Definitely get one in place now before your company yearend has passed, that way giving your accountant the best chance of mitigating any corporate taxes you have to pay.

If you had of put one in place before 5th April then there would have been a chance to mitigating any personal taxes or even possibly maximising your tax free dividend allowance but this date has now passed.

Either way I suggest getting one in place now as a good accountant will earn their fees for you in saved taxes.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    No, VAT except at the moment. By the end of the year I expect to have earned enough to pay VAT however.
    Have you not heard of the Flat Rate VAT Scheme then? One way to earn a few pennies from Charging VAT. I would seriously get an Accountant sorted out sooner rather than later. If you don't have time to get an Accountant now, I wonder how much time you will have to do your Corp Tax, PAYE, Expenses, etc., etc. when it comes to your Year End.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    I've been contract for a while but just recently started my own ltd company. I registered it in October '11 and started invoicing, no problems.

I've been fortunate that so far I've taken less than £6k since October ...
    Assuming this means that you personally have received "less than £6k since October" ...

If the answer is No to either of these then bend over and get ready to be shafted.

I haven't got an accountant yet but I've have been keep financial records, recipts etc... basically what HMRC advises.
    Best take what you have to an accountant and get it sorted then, eh?
    Last edited by Contreras; 3 May 2012, 00:20.

Leave a comment:

• mrnoodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
    For personal tax you will need to prepare/submit a tax return for the 2011/12 tax year. This must be filed (and any tax due, paid) by 31 Jan 2013.

Don't wait for the HMRC to contact you - call them on 0845 900 0444. This is the easiest option, but it can be unreliable if you get to speak to a poorly trained HMRC call centre operator. You will need your NI number on hand, and the date you were appointed a director. Tell the call centre operator that you need to get set up for personal self‐assessment because you are a company director. They may tell you that you need to call another number to register as a self employed person. This is WRONG. Tell them it is a requirement that you register for self‐assessment since you are a company director, and that you are NOT self‐employed. If the call centre operator insists that you need to call a different number, then ask to speak with their supervisor.
    Thankyou. You confirmed what I thought.

Leave a comment:

• mrnoodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Are you charging VAT?
    No, VAT except at the moment. By the end of the year I expect to have earned enough to pay VAT however.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Are you charging VAT?

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    For personal tax you will need to prepare/submit a tax return for the 2011/12 tax year. This must be filed (and any tax due, paid) by 31 Jan 2013.

Don't wait for the HMRC to contact you - call them on 0845 900 0444. This is the easiest option, but it can be unreliable if you get to speak to a poorly trained HMRC call centre operator. You will need your NI number on hand, and the date you were appointed a director. Tell the call centre operator that you need to get set up for personal self‐assessment because you are a company director. They may tell you that you need to call another number to register as a self employed person. This is WRONG. Tell them it is a requirement that you register for self‐assessment since you are a company director, and that you are NOT self‐employed. If the call centre operator insists that you need to call a different number, then ask to speak with their supervisor.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I'm going to get one this month, I just wanted some heads up what I should expect this year, I've just been too busy to sort it out.

Don't forget the CUK levy tax, I will pm you an account number and sort code so you can pay your yearly dues.

qh

Leave a comment:

• mrnoodle
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you don't know why didn't you get an accountant???

As a direcotry you have legal responsibility to know and submit your accounts. Not something to be taken lightly.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you don't know why didn't you get an accountant???

As a direcotry you have legal responsibility to know and submit your accounts. Not something to be taken lightly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X