• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming an e-book reader such as an Amazon Kindle on expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Would you have a revenue stream from work published on Kindle?
    I would, as I also publish books and ebooks as my other business. But I don't think that you need to publish for profit. You can publish free ebooks and treat that activity as marketing. I got a number of nice jobs in the past because my clients found me through my books and ebooks.

(edit: sorry if I seem to contradict myself in my previous post. I meant to say that I wouldn't set up myself as a publisher just to claim my Kindle as an expense. Since I already am a publisher that it a legitimate expense for me.)
    Last edited by squarepeg; 30 April 2012, 15:44.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
      I would, as I also publish books and ebooks as my other business. But I don't think that you need to publish for profit. You can publish free ebooks and treat that activity as marketing. I got a number of nice jobs in the past because my clients found me through my books and ebooks.
      OK then so if the work published on Kindle is purely for marketing and something that you chose to do to raise the profile of your business it is not a legitimate expense
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        OK then so if the work published on Kindle is purely for marketing and something that you chose to do to raise the profile of your business it is not a legitimate expense
        Are ypu saying that marketing is not a legitimate expense?
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
          Are ypu saying that marketing is not a legitimate expense?
          I don't think she is saying that. More around squarepegs situation and the Kindle question.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not saying marketing is not a legitimate cost for a business just that using a Kindle for marketing does not make it any more justifiable as an expense. Also that marketing is a cost to business i.e. the cost would go through your purchase ledger rather than be processed as an expense

Sorry wasn't too clear there
            Last edited by LisaContractorUmbrella; 1 May 2012, 14:41. Reason: still not too clear
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
            X