• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming an e-book reader such as an Amazon Kindle on expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    Similarly a few years ago I wanted to claim for a satnav since I was travelling around a lot with work but my accountant (SJD) told me I couldn't because it had duality of purpose. I can imagine she'd have said the same about this.
    A few years ago my last accountant told me a sat nav would be fine to put through the books a amy plan B included a lot of visiting prospects.

Having said that, he is now in jail......
    Still Invoicing

Comment

lol, hes not the geezer who gave punters his own Bank account details instead of inland revenue is he?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And all this risk and worry over something that is clearly duality of purpose and has nothing to do with computer use (which is now accepted as are smartphones) for the tax saving on £80..... Go for it
        I have to agree with you here NLUK, that is a level of tax avoidance too far for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
          I have to agree with you here NLUK, that is a level of tax avoidance too far for me.
          Same, "Ive given too much rep to NLUK" .... I know he loves it.

For me, this is taking the micky - I always use the "wholly, necessarily, exclusively" outlook - sure I might not be able to get that 20% off my TomTom, boo hoo.

Comment

So there you have it - two points of view. Take your pick.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

do it. just do it. by the time anyone checks (if anyone checks) it will be old, dead and gone anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                do it. just do it. by the time anyone checks (if anyone checks) it will be old, dead and gone anyway.
                I agree with you there.

They no longer sell the version of the Kindle I have and it's just over a year old.

If you do enough travelling and use enough reference books to warrant your business buying a kindle as it's cheaper than paying for excess baggage for heavy books or stops your employees damaging their backs, then buy one.

The Kindle is targeted at the recreational market because it is more profitable. It's taken a while for academic/professional subject-area publishers to realise lots of people are happy to/prefer reading text books on e-readers.

After all Blackberry was targeted at the business market but the youth found it a good way to pass messages about causing destruction.

And as I stated before there is nothing stopping anyone using their smartphone to read novels, even if it is your business smartphone, if you wish to keep things separate.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                  But if you do it, try understanding what is acceptable and what you might get away with for next time you want to ask.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a chap working for me who is an ex HMRC inspector and his opinion is that a Kindle (or similar) could not be legitimately claimed as an expense
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      I have a chap working for me who is an ex HMRC inspector and his opinion is that a Kindle (or similar) could not be legitimately claimed as an expense
                      An umbrella company has to be a lot more thorough than your typical limited company when deciding what is and isn't claim able. I do think trying to claim for an £80 item mainly used for reading fiction is pushing the boundaries for the sake of it however.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X