• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ooops View Post
    Thanks for this link DR.

Can anyone help ? I have read through and also looked at the lower level tables CH56100 (+CH51550) - Assessing Time Limits but I can't work out if there is any benifit to looking in to the dates on my letters further. The first letter I have that refers to 2006/2007 states if I don't resubmit my return an enquiry will be opened. I received the letter late July 2008.
    Thanks
    Did they open an actual enquiry? Did you get a closure notice or discovery assessment?

It's debatable whether the July 2008 letter would constitute an enquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
      I haven't changed address in years so no chance of it being incorrect on my records. As yet I've received no pre-APN or APN letters.
      Part of the HMRC psychological war? Or just the usual gross incomptence? Or maybe they have forgotten about you and owe you nothing? Or postman is inefficient?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Part of the HMRC psychological war? Or just the usual gross incomptence? Or maybe they have forgotten about you and owe you nothing? Or postman is inefficient?
        Let's not overestimate HMRC - I vote for gross incompetence.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

APN update

So far, only a portion of Montpelier users have received the pre-APN letter. Neither we, nor Montpelier, are aware of any users receiving actual APNs yet.

Many more deGraaf users have received the pre-APN letter. Some deGraaf users have now received APNs.

Steed didn't register their scheme with DOTAS, and we are not aware of any of their users affected by APNs.

Comment

APN Theory?

I've received the pre-APN letter but 2 others I know well haven't. My liability is a not an insignificant 5 figure amount, where as the others are well into 6 figures.

Could HRMC be targeting the smaller liabilities first in a hope those individuals have more chance of just paying up?

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingFireman View Post
              I've received the pre-APN letter but 2 others I know well haven't. My liability is a not an insignificant 5 figure amount, where as the others are well into 6 figures.

Could HRMC be targeting the smaller liabilities first in a hope those individuals have more chance of just paying up?
              My APN liability is aprox 49k. I have had the pre-apn letter.
              I was with MTM.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingFireman View Post

It's possible. Most of the deGraaf users' liabilities will be smaller because the scheme only ran for 2 years whereas Montpelier's scheme ran for 4 years after DOTAS came in.

Comment

As someone said earlier, HMRC will be trying to collect as much as they can just in case George bites them on the arse

ps. I had to highlight that after I wrote it because it's a wonderful image.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 4 March 2015, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    As someone said earlier, HMRC will be trying to collect as much as they can just in case George bites them on the arse.
                    Not sure I understand that?

Can you elucidate?

It will give you another post towards your target of 5000 posts when you will become godlike! You can then get a custom title! RetroUnLike?

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                      My APN liability is aprox 49k. I have had the pre-apn letter.
                      I was with MTM.
                      I should add that I don't have 49k sat in a Swiss bank account.
                      I'm in the can't pay group.
                      And over one year that £4083.33 a month. Easy for us rich conctrators....NOT :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X