• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    Folks its time to throw in the towel. We lost. Get over it. It would have been a lot better for most of us if HMRC could have demanded up front payment after the first judicial review. That would have seemed fair to me.

This is the opinion of the FTT and HMRC are likely to take
    I understand that some people have been through awful situations (divorce, credit crunch) but for the majority - you have had 6 years to save up for this moment.

You have to ask yourself; what have you been spending your money on for the last 6 years if you haven't saved up.

Don't expect much sympathy folks. Even my own mother said 'serves you right'.
    The interest on my bill (worse than any loan shark, imo) was pretty much outstripping my disposable income. Interest on money they hadn't bothered asking me for in the first place having accepted my tax returns at the time. I was trying to live a life, actually. There was no point in my trying to save while my life was being ruined, I couldn't get to the figure they say I owed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
      Folks its time to throw in the towel. We lost. Get over it. It would have been a lot better for most of us if HMRC could have demanded up front payment after the first judicial review. That would have seemed fair to me.

This is the opinion of the FTT and HMRC are likely to take
      I understand that some people have been through awful situations (divorce, credit crunch) but for the majority - you have had 6 years to save up for this moment.

You have to ask yourself; what have you been spending your money on for the last 6 years if you haven't saved up.

Don't expect much sympathy folks. Even my own mother said 'serves you right'.
      Ive got 6 months to hope the property market bounces in the right direction. But my main concern being if I have a property asset will they give me time to sell it before being hit with 90 day penalties or worse? I have an email from HMRC saying from years back that ive kept under lock and key stating that they will take a legal charge over a property asset to cover the debt So Im hoping that is still the case and is a viable solution while its sold to give them the upfront payment.

To be honest win or not, I dont want a judicial review ground hog day all over again. I would rather pay upfront and start in some way to move on. I dont want to be sitting here in another 10 years time staring down the barrel of a massively increased liability with less ability to pay! The positives for me being the interest clock stops ticking, and you never know it may end with the upfront payment so we could actually be better off. How long would it really take to conclude the legal process with such a backlog and we then have to pay the interest portion, maybe never and HMRC may be less inclined to pursue for the interest if they have the disputed amounts on account. Dont shoot me, im trying to find some positive in all this!
      Last edited by smalldog; 20 March 2014, 12:17.

Comment

As things stand

I admit that things appear to have taken a turn for the worse, and believe people must now hope for the best but prepare for the worst. We do however still have a few bullets left;

1) Montpelier's ECHR submission.
        2) Appeal to the Adjudicator/Ombudsman re HMRC malpractice
        3) Contesting the Bill itself.

Unfortunately time is not on our side with the first two - does anyone from Notoretro have a update on these appeals? Regarding the last, there will indeed be many more than us affected, and given the wealth and connections of some of these people combined with effective lobbying, I would say we still have a chance of escaping this vindictive and uncompassionate legislation.

Comment

HMRC can raid your bank account

Did you spot this? Budget gives HMRC power to raid your bank account

Comment

they will be sorely disappointed!

Comment

My whole liability is over 100k, but with the DOTAS budget announcement rumoured to from 2004 and no penalties etc, subject to finding my last brown envelope I believe my liability is circa 30k...a loan from Barclays may just do it. The real issue for me comes when/if Hmrc come knocking for the other money. Then I am screwed, bankruptcy looms....but when.
              Last edited by warlord; 20 March 2014, 12:45.

Comment

Hi all, apologies for not replying yesterday, like yourselves we were focused on the budget.

In answer to the questions raised, this is a production for Channel 4 and is bound by strict Ofcom regulations that ensure impartiality. Our intention is to represent a variety of opinions on important tax matters such as this.

To clarify, this is not paid for by HMRC and as an independent production company, we are interested in hearing your side of the story. As mentioned before, all information is off the record at this stage and doesn’t oblige you to take part.

Comment

Originally posted by RNewton View Post
                  ensure impartiality.
                  Really?

And the editorial slant won't be that we're all a bunch of money grabbing tax dodgers? Forgive me if I don't look convinced.

Comment

I am still amazed that things like this are not being picked up by the press more. You'd almost think the beer and bingo fiasco was a diversion from the real issues. It's incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by RNewton View Post
                      Hi all, apologies for not replying yesterday, like yourselves we were focused on the budget.

In answer to the questions raised, this is a production for Channel 4 and is bound by strict Ofcom regulations that ensure impartiality. Our intention is to represent a variety of opinions on important tax matters such as this.

To clarify, this is not paid for by HMRC and as an independent production company, we are interested in hearing your side of the story. As mentioned before, all information is off the record at this stage and doesn’t oblige you to take part.
                      Hi RNewton,
                      I don't speak for everyone of course, but may I politely encourage you to read through the past posts on this forum. You will quickly appreciate the heartbreak and devastation being visited upon us by HMRC malpractice and lies. We are just normal little folk (mostly software developers and the like) who sought a better way to trade independently when Gordon Brown introduced the uncertainty of IR35 to the otherwise ordinary world of limited companies. We are not employees, disguised or otherwise, we're just normal traders selling our services. Of course, efficient tax planning was of appeal, but equally, so was being free of the totally uncertainty of trading with the fear of IR35 rendering otherwise profitable undertakings to become insolvent by twist of an overnight taxman's knife.

So, may I please ask you to help ensure the context is fully covered as we are being totally ruined by HMRC. After all, who would fully disclose everything, have the return accepted then expect the government to introduce a law change and BACKDATE its applicability? Never cease to be shocked to the core about this, personally.

Thanks
                      Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

Working...
                      X