• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
    BBC

...watch Newsnight headline story...
    Oops! Now let's hope he claims he's exempt as a MP, and then the brown stuff will really hit the fan. One more enemy for Mr Gauke.

Missed this line on first glance:

"Other senior establishment figures to invest in the scheme include Lord Waldegrave, the former chief secretary to the Treasury"
    Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 16 July 2014, 23:33.

Comment

I wonder who is leaking the names of all these celebrities and prominent people?

Comment

And where were they a couple of months ago when there was the (admittedly tiny) chance for change.....

Comment

Lord Waldegrave said: "It was presented as a genuine film investment partnership. I was told they'd financed Avatar and other films. It never occurred to me it was tax avoidance. The Revenue haven't been in touch yet. If the Revenue contact me then I would pay it back."

Yeah, right! Bet he doesn't get asked to pay it back. Think I need to apply for a "Lord" title.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Anyone have the Twitter handles for Andrew Mitchell, Lord Grade and Lord Waldegrave?

BeenGauked told me he wants to make some trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              I wonder who is leaking the names of all these celebrities and prominent people?
              The Newsnight article was by Chris Cooke, who a few Twitterers engaged with this week.

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/with_replies

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                Lord Waldegrave said: "It was presented as a genuine film investment partnership. I was told they'd financed Avatar and other films. It never occurred to me it was tax avoidance. The Revenue haven't been in touch yet. If the Revenue contact me then I would pay it back."

Yeah, right! Bet he doesn't get asked to pay it back. Think I need to apply for a "Lord" title.
                So he will be happy to pay it back with interest will he??

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                  I saw Gauke getting off the tube once.
                  I gave him an aggressive stare and he looked very worried and scared by it, and I'm not a particularity big guy.
                  He must have had plenty to feel guilty about to have been shaken so easily.
                  Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  Oops! Now let's hope he claims he's exempt as a MP, and then the brown stuff will really hit the fan. One more enemy for Mr Gauke.

Missed this line on first glance:

"Other senior establishment figures to invest in the scheme include Lord Waldegrave, the former chief secretary to the Treasury"
                  I really don't think you lot want MPs to be exposed as "aggressive tax avoiders". The electorate are still smarting after the whole MPs' expenses scandal and would be only too ready to stick the boot in again - if MPs are seen to be doing the same as contractors, it is contractors who will be tarnished not MPs who will be saved... they may look after each other while it's a secret but the moment anyone gets exposed they will be thrown under the bus.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I really don't think you lot want MPs to be exposed as "aggressive tax avoiders". The electorate are still smarting after the whole MPs' expenses scandal and would be only too ready to stick the boot in again - if MPs are seen to be doing the same as contractors, it is contractors who will be tarnished not MPs who will be saved... they may look after each other while it's a secret but the moment anyone gets exposed they will be thrown under the bus.
                    On the contrary... we want people in the public eye to receive the same treatment as us.

If not, we want to know why not?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I totally disagree, this is classic Animal farm stuff, they need to be exposed as the people who are saying do what we say, not as we do! IT cant get any worse for us so if we can take some of the F*ckers down with us then why not!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X