• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appeals etc

I certainly take the point about staggering the demands. The first one for Tax only (APN) and the second for interest and NI.

However, it occurred to me that if you can't pay the APN and go down for that and then when you're recovering from that in a couple of years you get the second demand and have to go down again for that. That would be too much suffering. Might as well do it all once.

Would like to see how the FTT goes and make a decision based upon the outcome of that.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Yes. And they are a double edged sword.

f4j, with as many members as we have, changed the language of the courts and they way men were treated by use of the media. It was not all plain sailing - but overall it worked.

But things cannot get any worse for us.

I am meeting Tiger TV at the wharf 09:30 tomorrow.
      I've been too busy to call them back and arrange a time. Plus I'm getting a little concerned over any exposure my family would have to all of this. Without any written agreements in place I think it's too risky.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakleyacc View Post
        I certainly take the point about staggering the demands. The first one for Tax only (APN) and the second for interest and NI.

However, it occurred to me that if you can't pay the APN and go down for that and then when you're recovering from that in a couple of years you get the second demand and have to go down again for that. That would be too much suffering. Might as well do it all once.

Would like to see how the FTT goes and make a decision based upon the outcome of that.

Thanks
        Does anyone have closure notices or is it Just discovery Assessments? in which case will not a certain UTT decision be applicable?
        I for one have had no communication in over 18 Months since appealing.
        Rangers UTT decision should be due soon and may have a major baring upon any EBT APN/Follower notice if it doesn't go HMRC'S way.

Comment

Originally posted by z4thras View Post
          Does anyone have closure notices or is it Just discovery Assessments? in which case will not a certain UTT decision be applicable?
          I for one have had no communication in over 18 Months since appealing.
          Rangers UTT decision should be due soon and may have a major baring upon any EBT APN/Follower notice if it doesn't go HMRC'S way.
          All the BN66ers have had closure notices. The Rangers case has no bearing on us because our scheme didn't involve EBTs or loans.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
            And thats the real issue. HMRC seem to think that we all have 100k in our bank accounts sat there all nicely for Hmrc.
            Spoke to Tiger productions Thursday, they want me on camera 🎥 when the APN brown envelope arrive:-P yeah right will never happen, as if my wife crying on camera will be great viewing.
            Never happen.
            I'm happy to put it on record that Ruth Newton and Tiger Aspect Productions are the scum of the earth. They deserve to rot in hell.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Next update?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              All the BN66ers have had closure notices. The Rangers case has no bearing on us because our scheme didn't involve EBTs or loans.
              When will we receive the next update?

I'd be keen to know more about the other things being explored / done in the background or whatever as after speaking to the expert whose name was given last time, I'm getting just a trifle worried about having to sell my family home in order to pay for MPs' expenses and illegal wars.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I still await a CN for 2007/2008. I believe none have been issued for that year.

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                I'm happy to put it on record that Ruth Newton and Tiger Aspect Productions are the scum of the earth. They deserve to rot in hell.
                Interesting - as I was connected to tiger TV via a ntrt newsletter. Is there something to back that up or a gut feel? If you prefer lets chat via PM or a catch up call - been a while since we spoke anyway.

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                I've been too busy to call them back and arrange a time. Plus I'm getting a little concerned over any exposure my family would have to all of this. Without any written agreements in place I think it's too risky.
                I can understand that. If I still had a family I would be concerned too. But its just me. And while going bankrupt I am going to cause all the aggro I can.

Treat a person like an animal and they behave likewise.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Interesting - as I was connected to tiger TV via a ntrt newsletter. Is there something to back that up or a gut feel? If you prefer lets chat via PM or a catch up call - been a while since we spoke anyway.
                  Hi Brillo,

At the time the newsletter went out, the Steering Group had pretty mixed feeling about Tiger Aspect, but I have always had a gut feeling that it's a bad move.

Would be good to chat, I'll PM you my number.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    A more substantial article FWIW:

Tax avoidance crackdown set to cause wave of litigation - FT.com

(As a non-subscriber, Google "Tax avoidance crackdown set to cause wave of litigation" and link from there).
                    It should be interesting to see how the much touted 80% success rate stands up now, Gauke stated that he expected it to be maintained. There must be some in HMRC who are dreading this. It's not just the courts that have to gear up, HMRC have to prepare their case, so they're going to have to have some serious investment (of taxpayers money to be spent on cases which can't be won), and it's not just money up-front, they're going to need more trained and skilled inspectors, with their publicly funded public sector pensions and conditions. What are they going to do when the lose the first tier knowing they shouldn't have been there in the first place? Appeal? Wonder how the costs of that are going to be perceived? They'll be seen as lining their own pockets, while wasting public money on failed court cases. Those that win and aren't given their money back immediately will have every right to cry foul, and that will create a perception of incompetence and greed for both the Government and HMRC.

This is going to end up as farce, with HMRC being forced into court, paying a fortune to defend cases they could have walked away from and they will be made to look inept. 'Teflon Two-Face' Dave Gauke will still spin his way out of it, but I think there's a serious possibility that HMRC are going to be fundamentally undermined, and with that comes ridicule, and with that comes change. 80%? They'll be lucky if they get 8%.

Comment

From the FT article...

"The Judicial Appointments Commission will next month invite solicitors and barristers to apply for up to 39 full-time and part-time posts in the first-tier and upper tax tribunals to cope with its increased workload and to replace judges who have retired".

Hmmm.... maybe we should all send in our CVs. Could clog up the recruitment process

Comment

Working...
                      X