• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38degrees love

38degrees is just shy of 400 signatures, sign up if you haven't already

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-retrospective

Comment

Originally posted by jeanvaljean View Post
      Why should MPs be exempt from new law to block tax avoidance? – Telegraph Blogs

Question possibly better phrased: Does anybody have information on any of the very likely multitude of various tax avoidance schemes used by MPs which they have already made sure are exempt from every possible type of retrospective taxation?
      So if I get elected an MP prospectively, I'm immune from the retrospective legislation contained within the finance bill? Further, if I become an MP, does that mean I can use tax avoidance schemes safe in the knowledge that HMRC are powerless to take me task on it? i.e. does it in effect give me diplomatic immunity for tax purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by zaphrus View Post
        So if I get elected an MP prospectively, I'm immune from the retrospective legislation contained within the finance bill? Further, if I become an MP, does that mean I can use tax avoidance schemes safe in the knowledge that HMRC are powerless to take me task on it? i.e. does it in effect give me diplomatic immunity for tax purposes?
        All interesting questions to ponder. The field of possibilities (and unintended consequences) that Finance Bill 2014 opens is truly difficult to comprehend for a normal human mind. There are going to be a lot of paradoxes, not dissimilar to those elaborated on by SF writers in novels involving time travel...
        However, as is often the case, reality became stranger than fiction, and even SF writers could not imagine a David Gauke-like character coming about... (as far as I know...)
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Appeals

As I understand it, when we get our APNs, HMRC will be asking for the Tax due only. They will not include interest or NI at this stage.

At some time in the future, depending upon how things go, we will get another demand for the interest and NI. So we are going to get 2 lots of pain it seems.

Can anyone please tell me that if we cancel our Appeals against the closure notices, will we get a demand from HMRC for Tax, interest and NI all in one go ? In some ways, I think it would be better to get it over with in one painful go.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Oakleyacc View Post
            As I understand it, when we get our APNs, HMRC will be asking for the Tax due only. They will not include interest or NI at this stage.

At some time in the future, depending upon how things go, we will get another demand for the interest and NI. So we are going to get 2 lots of pain it seems.

Can anyone please tell me that if we cancel our Appeals against the closure notices, will we get a demand from HMRC for Tax, interest and NI all in one go ? In some ways, I think it would be better to get it over with in one painful go.

Many thanks
            I dont want my appeal withdrawn! I can pay the tax for 2004 onwards without interest. I can then work out paying the rest from then until the case is eventually sorted, if we lose that is. So big reason for me not to have my appeal withdrawn. Yes if you withdrew your appeal it triggers a bill for the full amount inc. interest etc.
            Last edited by smalldog; 23 June 2014, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              I dont want my appeal withdrawn! I can pay the tax for 2004 onwards without interest. I can then work out paying the rest from then until the case is eventually sorted, if we lose that is. So big reason for me not to have my appeal withdrawn. Yes if you withdrew your appeal it triggers a bill for the full amount inc. interest etc.
              If (thats a big IF) I may be able to remortgage to pay off my APN. But at this time I cannot get the funds to pay any interest payments etc as well.
              Cannot afford to cancel my appeal. The longer it goes on the more I can pull out of the house. Assuming there is no housing crash.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                If (thats a big IF) I may be able to remortgage to pay off my APN. But at this time I cannot get the funds to pay any interest payments etc as well.
                Cannot afford to cancel my appeal. The longer it goes on the more I can pull out of the house. Assuming there is no housing crash.
                Yep I would imagine a lot of people in the same boat so staggering is a great help. For those who unfortunately cant pay the APN and bankruptcy seems the only option then going Nuclear and getting the one big bill now might make sense. But then what happens if we eventually win??

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  Yep I would imagine a lot of people in the same boat so staggering is a great help. For those who unfortunately cant pay the APN and bankruptcy seems the only option then going Nuclear and getting the one big bill now might make sense. But then what happens if we eventually win??
                  And thats the real issue. HMRC seem to think that we all have 100k in our bank accounts sat there all nicely for Hmrc.
                  Spoke to Tiger productions Thursday, they want me on camera 🎥 when the APN brown envelope arrive:-P yeah right will never happen, as if my wife crying on camera will be great viewing.
                  Never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                    And thats the real issue. HMRC seem to think that we all have 100k in our bank accounts sat there all nicely for Hmrc.
                    Spoke to Tiger productions Thursday, they want me on camera 🎥 when the APN brown envelope arrive:-P yeah right will never happen, as if my wife crying on camera will be great viewing.
                    Never happen.
                    Exploitative bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Exploitative bastards.
                      Yes. And they are a double edged sword.

f4j, with as many members as we have, changed the language of the courts and they way men were treated by use of the media. It was not all plain sailing - but overall it worked.

But things cannot get any worse for us.

I am meeting Tiger TV at the wharf 09:30 tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X