• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    All very well Mr Williams QC talking about child poverty. What about the poverty of our children that is due to follow?
    "It's for the children..."

...just not YOUR children!

www.dotas-scandal.org
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Had a conversation with my brother-in-law recently who is ex-HMRC and, no joke, he said if people didn't want to pay tax they'd have been better off not disclosing it. Registering a scheme or declaring it on your tax return was always asking for trouble. If you want to pull one over on HMRC then it's better to be hard to find than trying to be a clever dick.

I suspect avoidance will become more evasive in future.
      I was one of the suckers who pretty much demanded the DOTAS number be entered on my AR by MontP, purely because of the importance of remaining inside the rules and being open and transparent. I don't think it'll make a lot of difference now, but how stupid was that looking back? As someone else mentioned, I suspect this has been in the works a long time and DOTAS was exactly for this purpose. I said this before, and I think some people are still in denial, but that question about whether or not you work through a PSC on the ARs is there for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        "spirit of the law", and that from a lawman!!! what a load of old bulltulip!! Can just see him in court arguing a case if his legal counterpart stated that the spirit of the law had been breached. GET THE F***ING LAW RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE! D*ck....GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Will remember the "Spirit" concept next time my wife and I have a bust up.
        Not all lawmen come with a conscience (yes,I realize I'm stating the obvious...)
        The mafia has lawyers, too. So why not HMRC.

www.dotas-scandal.org

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
          What! You mean lawyers may not have scruples or integrity?
          And many MPs are ex lawyers.
          What is the world coming to?
          sorry, I couldn't find the sarc tag...

www.dotas-scandal.org

Comment

Ive been done over by the family court lawyers before. Now being done over by liquidation lawyers. And I expect bankruptcy lawyers before too long.

Shakespeare said "first lets kill all the lawyers" (henry 5th part 2).

BP says they should be second - tax inspectors first.....

Comment

MPs exempt from Tax Avoidance

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
              ...but the pool of people willing to sign up for these schemes is reducing very quickly. Everyone in the world of contracting, offshore/IT/medical knows someone who has been caught up in this.

Avoidance will always be around, the super rich will continue to use the schemes, but for the world of contracting - avoidance schemes are pretty much dead.
              Lets not forget MPs - who can use them freely as they are exempt - from tax (avoidance) , integrity, honesty, working for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                sorry, I couldn't find the sarc tag...

www.dotas-scandal.org

HTH BISDI

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  I was one of the suckers who pretty much demanded the DOTAS number be entered on my AR by MontP, purely because of the importance of remaining inside the rules and being open and transparent. I don't think it'll make a lot of difference now, but how stupid was that looking back? As someone else mentioned, I suspect this has been in the works a long time and DOTAS was exactly for this purpose. I said this before, and I think some people are still in denial, but that question about whether or not you work through a PSC on the ARs is there for a reason.
                  My returns did not have the DOTAS number on them and I still got caught...

Advice I received from someone at NTRT (that I'm going to use to attempt to quell two HMRC Discovery enquiries) stated that users of schemes that existed before the DOTAS regime came into being were not required to state their schemes DOTAS number on their returns...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Ive been done over by the family court lawyers before. Now being done over by liquidation lawyers. And I expect bankruptcy lawyers before too long.
                    Know the feeling. They can't take what you ain't got - so light a cigar, have a glass of something and wait for Gov benefits. Then use them to go on holiday for a year. The one thing none of them can do is make you work for free (since 1 August 1833 - Abolition of Slavery Act).
                    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                      Know the feeling. They can't take what you ain't got - so light a cigar, have a glass of something and wait for Gov benefits. Then use them to go on holiday for a year. The one thing none of them can do is make you work for free (since 1 August 1833 - Abolition of Slavery Act).
                      might as well bang out as many kids as you can and get a nice 8 bedroom house gratis...also work while claiming, get a slight limp and claim sick too.

Comment

Working...
                      X