• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware that since Accelerated Payments came in most schemes aren't using DOTAS anymore.... They are trying to keep under the radar by not registering.....
    Had a conversation with my brother-in-law recently who is ex-HMRC and, no joke, he said if people didn't want to pay tax they'd have been better off not disclosing it. Registering a scheme or declaring it on your tax return was always asking for trouble. If you want to pull one over on HMRC then it's better to be hard to find than trying to be a clever dick.

I suspect avoidance will become more evasive in future.

Comment

You are aware that since Accelerated Payments came in most schemes aren't using DOTAS anymore.... They are trying to keep under the radar by not registering.....
      True. David Gauke is out there boasting about the fall in numbers of DOTAS registered schemes. Surely he cannot ignore that he has merely pushed said schemes into the underground and off the radar (defeating the "official" original purpose of DOTAS).
      Would it be cynical to wonder whether the real purpose of DOTAS was all along to mark targets for the Great Confiscation?

www.dotas-scandal.org
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Had a conversation with my brother-in-law recently who is ex-HMRC and, no joke, he said if people didn't want to pay tax they'd have been better off not disclosing it. Registering a scheme or declaring it on your tax return was always asking for trouble. If you want to pull one over on HMRC then it's better to be hard to find than trying to be a clever dick.

I suspect avoidance will become more evasive in future.
        Anything you say can and will be used against you.

Always was, always will be...

www.dotas-scandal.org

Comment

I wasn't aware - but surely there will be some hallmark distinguishing the 90% payments they offer else how would u declare on SA. Anyways...the damage is done to thousands of lives because of the 'spirit of law' .

Comment

the pond

...but the pool of people willing to sign up for these schemes is reducing very quickly. Everyone in the world of contracting, offshore/IT/medical knows someone who has been caught up in this.

Avoidance will always be around, the super rich will continue to use the schemes, but for the world of contracting - avoidance schemes are pretty much dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
              ...but the pool of people willing to sign up for these schemes is reducing very quickly. Everyone in the world of contracting, offshore/IT/medical knows someone who has been caught up in this.

Avoidance will always be around, the super rich will continue to use the schemes, but for the world of contracting - avoidance schemes are pretty much dead.
              I would argue with that. In the world of experienced contractors it's dead, for new contractors they can see a safe easy option with the money they spend on advertising
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Manu View Post
                I wasn't aware - but surely there will be some hallmark distinguishing the 90% payments they offer else how would u declare on SA. Anyways...the damage is done to thousands of lives because of the 'spirit of law' .
                This "spirit of law" rhetoric is the stuff tyranny is born of. Simply because you can make it anything you like, depending on necessities and the spirit of the TIMES.

The word of law is the only basis that can guarantee liberty.
                If it's disregarded, then we are in effect not judged in a court of law anymore, but in the court of public opinion. Or David Gauke's opinion, as it appears.

Dumbfounded that supposedly intelligent lawyers look the other way on this. Maybe lacking that thing called "integrity".

www.dotas-scandal.org

Comment

new letter sent to my MP

Dear Mark,

I write to thank you for your support.

I wish to further raise my concerns regarding the Governments attitude
                  towards the use of retrospective taxation and implore you to support me
                  with action and not with HMRC generated template responses.

I firmly believe that all members of society should expect to be judged
                  by the law as it stood at the time. Don't you?

There are a large number of unfair circumstances since S58 of Finance
                  Bill 2008.

Other schemes that have been hit by retrospection (back 1 year not 21
                  years ) have been fully warned and have been given plenty notice. In my
                  case I was given no warning of retrospection and never was I told I had
                  done anything legally wrong, instead HMRC had agreed to take 4 test
                  cases to tribune in 2007. These cases were not brought to tribune and
                  instead in 2008 retrospection was applied.

I feel this to be an extreme violation of my Human Rights putting me
                  and my family at high risk of loosing everything we have - for NOT
                  breaking the law as it stood at the time!

Furthermore, to ask for payment upfront in advance whilst I have not
                  been found guilty, followed all the rules, fully declared on every tax
                  return and complied with all of HMRCs requests is a honeytrap. Had I
                  not declared we would probably not even be talking.

The City of London Law Society, respresenting some 14,000 city lawyers
                  has recently responded to the content of the Finance Bill 2014 in which
                  they say:

"2. RECOMMENDATIONS: CERTAINTY, THE RULE OF LAW ETC

2.1 We have a broad concern, applicable to all taxes, that tax
                  policymakers are
                  insufficiently conscious of the importance of the rule of law – that
                  is, the
                  constitutional right of a citizen to determine the law applicable to
                  him at any given
                  date. Related to this is a similar problem of lack of respect for
                  legislation as the
                  only proper source of law, and over-reliance on guidance.

2.2 The current Government has legislated retrospectively against
                  certain types of
                  stamp duty land tax avoidance schemes, and also against what it
                  perceived to be
                  avoidance structures in the field of corporation tax on loan
                  relationships. In many
                  of these cases the relevant structures had been known to HMRC for some
                  time
                  prior to the retrospective change (although we would accept that HMRC's
                  internal
                  communication systems may have been inadequate to convey this knowledge
                  to
                  policymakers: improvements in this area of tax administration are
                  doubtless
                  necessary too). We do not consider that this is acceptable. Business
                  must know
                  that the law in place when transactions take place will be the law that
                  applies to
                  them. This principle is either absolute or it is nothing – once it has
                  been broken
                  once, further breaches are only questions of degree. It is not an
                  adequate
                  response to warn in advance on a generic basis that retrospective
                  legislation
                  might be applied in an area. It is hard to overstate how damaging to
                  business
                  perception of a jurisdiction it is if a government indulges in
                  retrospective taxation.

2.3 Even where legislation is not expressly retrospective, it can
                  effectively be so.
                  Probably the most egregious recent example of this was the last
                  government's
                  introduction of the Bank Payroll Tax (a remarkable tax in that its
                  entire charging
                  period had passed before it became law). As at the date of introduction
                  of the
                  tax, policy (let alone effective drafting) had not been finalised as to
                  what a "bank"
                  was and hence who might be subject to the tax. Our view is that the tax
                  system
                  should include administrative safeguards to prevent legislation being
                  introduced
                  with immediate effect where it has not been substantially finalised. "

I'm the victim! HMRCs introduction of IR35 caused chaos in the
                  self-employed community. Even HMRC are still playing around with the
                  legislation which got slammed by the House of Lords.

If we don't stand up to this mess now and act prospectively then we are
                  in danger of bankrupting thousands of innocent people.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post

Dumbfounded that supposedly intelligent lawyers look the other way on this. Maybe lacking that thing called "integrity".

www.dotas-scandal.org
                    What! You mean lawyers may not have scruples or integrity?
                    And many MPs are ex lawyers.
                    What is the world coming to?
                    Last edited by flamel; 13 June 2014, 13:07.
                    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                      True. David Gauke is out there boasting about the fall in numbers of DOTAS registered schemes. Surely he cannot ignore that he has merely pushed said schemes into the underground and off the radar (defeating the "official" original purpose of DOTAS).
                      Would it be cynical to wonder whether the real purpose of DOTAS was all along to mark targets for the Great Confiscation?

www.dotas-scandal.org
                      not only will he have pushed this towards more avoidance, it will then become evasion pure and simple. People will start to not declare certain earnings on their SA in hope of getting away with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X