• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preposterous

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    Since we now know we will have to pay this, can't you ask HMRC to issue you a demand?
    Helen7, You may be writing on a wrong forum here. This forum is to discuss the abusive nature of this govt's rethoric.

Pay what - a tax which was never was due until HMRC & Osbourne's absurd retrospective legislative changes?

Pay what - an amount which was and is never due, according to any courts of English law?

Pay what - A tax on a loan(which needs to be repaid)

6 years - Either you are out of touch (like most tories) with legal uptodates since then or just naive with ignorance

Do you work for HMRC by any chance?????

Comment

Helen7 has just started in HMRC's behaviour management unit... don't be too harsh, guys! ;-)

www.dotas-scandal.org
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

This forum seems to be for people who want to bury heads in the sand and pretend that this will all go away because they don't like it.

What this forum ought to be is a place where people can get up to date information on legal developments and get realistic advice on how the law stands NOW (not how it stood before the HMRC time machine).

As much as we do not like it, they did make our arrangements taxable using retrospective changes. The courts deemed this legal and upheld it.

The fact of the matter is, we are very likely to receive demands for this money shortly and people need to be prepared to pay it.

It is because of arm chair lawyers on this forum that I stayed in the arrangement for so long. All very very reassuring that it was perfectly legal and retrospective changes were unheard of.

If you want to tweet something or climb up a building dressed as batman, be my guest.

Comment

Originally posted by tax is taxing View Post
          Helen7, You may be writing on a wrong forum here. This forum is to discuss the abusive nature of this govt's rethoric.

Pay what - a tax which was never was due until HMRC & Osbourne's absurd retrospective legislative changes?

Pay what - an amount which was and is never due, according to any courts of English law?

Pay what - A tax on a loan(which needs to be repaid)

6 years - Either you are out of touch (like most tories) with legal uptodates since then or just naive with ignorance

Do you work for HMRC by any chance?????
          I remember original posts by this user, where it seemed that she couldn't pay as money had gone on palliative care for a spouse, spa breaks, etc. But there really has been a change of viewpoint and I do often wonder if an account has been hijacked in some way, or even something more sinister.

Every post I see from this user truly depresses me. Please, if you're genuine, and maybe you inherited some money (sad if you have in the circumstance you first posted in) and can now pay, just give it a rest and stop bringing everyone else down.

Sorry if I have broken forum rules.

Comment

Originally posted by weeboaby View Post
            I remember original posts by this user, where it seemed that she couldn't pay as money had gone on palliative care for a spouse, spa breaks, etc. But there really has been a change of viewpoint and I do often wonder if an account has been hijacked in some way, or even something more sinister.

Every post I see from this user truly depresses me. Please, if you're genuine, and maybe you inherited some money (sad if you have in the circumstance you first posted in) and can now pay, just give it a rest and stop bringing everyone else down.

Sorry if I have broken forum rules.
            In 6 years I have made many sacrifices to save up the money to cover the amount due so that I do not loose the family home.

No holidays, no new cars, no expensive restaurants and took children out of private school.

Hope this helps.

Comment

You really must bare in mind that the courts have already commented that we have had significant notice that this payment is due.

6 years since the change was announced in the Budget.
              6+ years since HMRC questioned the tax returns.

If you have not made preparations to make the payment in that time I very much doubt they will show much sympathy.

I understand when payment notices arrive we have 30 days or face penalties (5% I think).
              Not at any time in the 6 years have I ever had a letter from HMRC saying I owe this money and here are the reasons why.

What I have received is many a blurred letter from HMRC saying they think I may have done something wrong.

Save or live ? Hmmm I chose to live.

I'm a firm believer that we cannot let this government rob us blind. This is an illegal move by them and I for one had no intention of saving "just in case".

If our campaign does not succeed then they can take the money out of my blood stained hands.

The more of us that don't pay the better as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Response from my MP ...

Thank you for your email.

I have noted your concerns about these proposals in the Finance Bill and will certainly keep them in mind when the Bill next comes before us for debate.

In the meantime, I am, as you have requested, forwarding a copy of your message to the Minister and also to the Clerk of the Public Bill Committee which is currently considering if and what amendments should be tabled.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

I have also tweeted him #FinanceBill2014

I hope some of this works .. although I have a sneaking suspicion retrospection is here to stay and the mainstream media will only get involved as its scope progressively widens and public opinion swings our way.

Comment

Bankruptcy??

Understandably there is a growing interest in declaring bankruptcy on this forum as things looks as though they are being brought to a head prematurely by accelerated payments. I have also done a little research as I have no assets to lose, live in rented accommodation and I'm employed nowadays.

It seems that there is a sting in the tail when it comes to going bankrupt owing HMRC. It seems that the debt is not written off and HMRC have the right to 100% of your disposable income for 3 years following declaration of bankruptcy. Their definition of disposable income is brutal. To give you an idea, they don't even allow gym membership. If they do this, I would end up paying most of what they think I owe. However it seems that if I were to offer this as a repayment scheme, they would not accept it ! So I can't see any benefit in bankruptcy and that it might be better to avoid it if possible due to the downside.

I do hope that I have misunderstood !

Could someone who is better informed than me, please tell us if I have got it wrong. I do hope I have !

Comment

This forum seems to be for people who want to bury heads in the sand and pretend that this will all go away because they don't like it.

What this forum ought to be is a place where people can get up to date information on legal developments and get realistic advice on how the law stands NOW (not how it stood before the HMRC time machine).

As much as we do not like it, they did make our arrangements taxable using retrospective changes. The courts deemed this legal and upheld it.

The fact of the matter is, we are very likely to receive demands for this money shortly and people need to be prepared to pay it.

It is because of arm chair lawyers on this forum that I stayed in the arrangement for so long. All very very reassuring that it was perfectly legal and retrospective changes were unheard of.

If you want to tweet something or climb up a building dressed as batman, be my guest.
                    I agree with Helen7, wishing something away won't make it happen but if any forum users want to start talking to HMRC, I would be happy to join them.

Comment

In 6 years I have made many sacrifices to save up the money to cover the amount due so that I do not loose the family home.

No holidays, no new cars, no expensive restaurants and took children out of private school.

Hope this helps.
                      Good for you. I've saved nowt. Couldn't pay when this first came up, and decided to live a life rather than try and save to reach a total I never could reach and lose everything anyway. On many occasions I've been "in a dark place" to use the euphemistic phrase. Mainly after reading your posts, actually.

Comment

Working...
                      X