• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I assume this was a reference to the red pill Neo took, in the film The Matrix, to escape from the virtual world of the matrix.

If only there was a pill you could take to escape HMRC's matrix!
    I think a clue to the plan may be in the poster's username. I doubt its a risk free solution.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      I assume this was a reference to the red pill Neo took, in the film The Matrix, to escape from the virtual world of the matrix.

If only there was a pill you could take to escape HMRC's matrix!
      HMRC would just jump in the time machine and stop you from taking it.

Comment

Settlement

Hi, this is my first posting. I wrote to my MP a while ago using one of the NTRT templates and I've received a reply through from David Gauke suggesting that I might want to settle with HMRC the same as others have already done.

Does anyone know what the settlement is?

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
          Hi, this is my first posting. I wrote to my MP a while ago using one of the NTRT templates and I've received a reply through from David Gauke suggesting that I might want to settle with HMRC the same as others have already done.

I can only assume he is referring to the Suo Motu Settlement back in the early 2000's. Did you forward the letter to whitehouse or NTRT ? If not then please do as some are subtely different.
          http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Welcome and when done for posting. I think they might mean you pay HMRC what they say you owe.

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
            I can only assume he is referring to the Suo Motu Settlement back in the early 2000's. Did you forward the letter to whitehouse or NTRT ? If not then please do as some are subtely different.
            +1. I know there is some giossip about a deal with HMRC - though I am implacably hostile to any deal. Unless its 1% of the money owed and I would probably struggle to come up with that.

Comment

Thank you both, I've already passed the letter to Whitehouse.

I don't have all the money but I could pay some of it so I might be willing to settle. What was the SUo Motu settlement?

Comment

Thank you both, I've already passed the letter to Whitehouse.

I don't have all the money but I could pay some of it so I might be willing to settle. What was the SUo Motu settlement?
                It was quite complicated. Very slightly reduced tax and no interest.

If you have money it might be worth considering a CTD? It hardly seems worth it at the moment but this could drag on for years and years. Though paying off your mortgage might be a better bet than a CTD - and I think some even recommend a BTL over a CTD.

Comment

Repayment Requests

It's been quiet here for a few days so I thought I'd entertain you with my latest HMRC experience...

Some weeks ago I spent about 2.5 hours on the phone to HMRC Self Assessment helpline (mostly on hold) trying to establish why they have not paid me the refund I am due.

Eventually I was told I had to speak to my "compliance officer" and was given a lady's name and a 0300 phone number to call. After I had calmed down and my blood pressure had returned to normal, I called the number only to find it "was not available at this time".

That was five or six weeks ago and today I decided I was calm enough to call again to get a working number. After another 40 minutes it transpired that the number I had been given was indeed valid and the reason I could not get through was because the lady in question had not logged in to her phone. I was speechless.

You couldn't make this up! Now I have to look into my crystal ball and detect if and when she decides to pop into the office and (hopefully) log in to her phone so that me and other people actually get a ring tone rather than what sounds like a defunct line.

Clearly, despite my best efforts, nobody was ever going to contact me. Yet again I found myself furious with these complete monkeys (no offence intended to monkeys).

The chap I spoke to today has now arranged for a call-back so someone will call me apparently. But wait for it... There is a 5 working day turnaround for callbacks.

.. and b r e a t h ....

Half the trouble is that by the time you get to speak to a human, you have been on hold for so long that you are already approaching furious. Or is that just me?

Has anyone spoken to a "compliance officer" with regard to problems getting a repayment?

Comment

NTRT updates and newsletters

If anyone isn't receiving them please let us know. The mailing list is extracted from the NTRT website each time so we will use whatever email address is currently set up in your member profile. If you change your email address then it will be sent to the new one.

One other thing to check if you don't receive anything is that your email account (Gmail, Hotmail) isn't filing them in the spam/junk folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
                      It's been quiet here for a few days so I thought I'd entertain you with my latest HMRC experience...

Half the trouble is that by the time you get to speak to a human, you have been on hold for so long that you are already approaching furious. Or is that just me?

Has anyone spoken to a "compliance officer" with regard to problems getting a repayment?
                      I think it's the luck of the draw.

I had similar issues the first time.

Months later I tried again, got through to someone straight away and got the refund immediately.

Comment

Working...
                      X