• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Emails are fine.
    Personally, I write a letter and then send an email, with the (pdf) letter attached, advising that it is on the way. A perfectly legitimate and respectful approach I feel. The fact it doubles the handling overheads and creates a housekeeping exercise to avoid duplication in the recipient's filing systems is just a by-product.

Just saying.

Comment

Re: Zac Goldsmith MP...

Afternoon all.

I also have Mr Goldsmith as my MP and I've written to him to point out the shortcomings in HMRC's arguements and to direct him to the N.T.R.T. website (which I've also joined) to view the supporting evidence, notably, the excellent timeline diagram.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank everyone on this forum for all their efforts thus far in continuing to take the fight to HMRC.

As they say, you have to be in it to win it...

Comment

I DONT USUALLY SAY MUCH BUT I AM GETTING TOTALLY HACKED OFF WITH HEARING HMRC MADE IT CLEAR THE SCHEME DIDNT WORK!, THEY DID NOT SUCH THING!!!!!! IS ANYONE PUSHING BACK ON THIS INCLUDING OUR LOBBYING COMPANY?

thanks, normal service resumes....

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

I DONT USUALLY SAY MUCH BUT I AM GETTING TOTALLY HACKED OFF WITH HEARING HMRC MADE IT CLEAR THE SCHEME DIDNT WORK!, THEY DID NOT SUCH THING!!!!!! IS ANYONE PUSHING BACK ON THIS INCLUDING OUR LOBBYING COMPANY?

See post #317

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

Well I've already left a VM with my MP's secretary requesting a face to face. He simply either did not understand the letter or choose to ignore it. Not a single question that was asked was answered. I just got GAUKED like everyone else. This time I intend to look him in the eyes and see if I can help him understand a bit better.

Comment

what if no response

Our group met with a former Minister this morning. I'm not going to say who (so don't ask) because it's a tad sensitive. I'm not even going to reveal their gender.

They were sympathetic and agreed to help if they can.

Their overwhelming advice to us was:

1. It's 100% vital that everyone keeps on bombarding their MPs with letter after letter after letter - so many letters that the MPs just want the matter to go away

2. Full rebuttals (by way of even further letters!) to each stage of Gauke's standard letters are vital

question

happy to bombard.. but my MP still hasnt responded.. 4 mails.. since early march.....any thoughts how to get his attention??

Comment

Originally posted by funjim View Post
                question

happy to bombard.. but my MP still hasnt responded.. 4 mails.. since early march.....any thoughts how to get his attention??
                I'd call their office and arrange a meeting at his surgery?

Comment

More bollocks

Whitehouse are preparing a full rebuttal to the Gauke letter.

I will post again when this is available to send to MPs.
                  Received the same boiler plate letter from my MP today, Gauke has not answered any of the questions that I put before him, including his refutal of BN66, standard fob off little person....although the covering letter stated how the MP would know how disappointed I would be by the response the MP has provided a number to discuss further, probably what everyone else got also ?

I will of course call the MP to arrange a meeting and respond by sending the letter once its ready DR.

O I did forget one thing It was acompanied with a leaflet... 'Giving taxpayers time to pay'
                  Last edited by moira under the stairs; 1 May 2012, 18:47. Reason: Addition
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Joined the campaign

Hi, I've just signed up to the campaign.

....now to contact my MP.

Great work everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      At best it would have been something like that I reckon. Trouble is that the glitch seems to be the crux of Sheldon/Parker/Osborne/Gauke's justification for legitimate expectation. Hopefully with enough people passing MPs and co enough facts, the penny will drop.
                      Something ought to drop. If this is a just world it'll hit the fan on the way down

You're right about Paragraph 85 of Sheldon's scholarly article. It's actually an argument against the Courts' decisions in Huitson. Unbelievable!

It doesn't hang together though - could HMRC's counsel really have been ignorant of the truth behind the fiction? It just doesn't sound plausible.

Comment

Working...
                      X