• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you all are. Just tell them that it will affect your mental well being and get let off.

BBC News - Former MP Margaret Moran unfit to face expenses trial

So here we have a MP who faced a criminal trial and really had no good excuse opposed to some contractors who probably have a better defence, ok that's arguable but as I was never affected by S58 and I didn't use any of the schemes I won't go into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Here you all are. Just tell them that it will affect your mental well being and get let off.

So here we have a MP who faced a criminal trial and really had no good excuse opposed to some contractors who probably have a better defence, ok that's arguable but as I was never affected by S58 and I didn't use any of the schemes I won't go into that.
      Some of us dont have to pretend.

Of course it worked for Earnest Saunders too. It seems to work for the rich but not the little people like us.

Comment

Just tell them that it will affect your mental well being and get let off.
        WILL affect it? Ask my wife what this has already done to my state of mind!

Comment

Mock my friend... mock !!
          MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Hope she eventually doesn't get charged back-dated interest, i wouldn't wish that on anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
              Just reading B001 - Clive Sheldon (HMRCs QC) on A1P1 and his justification.

(ii) There is our old friend again; express warning letters that tax was payable and money should be paid on account.

Between 2001 and 2007 did thousands of letters get lost in the post ? How can their QC even claim this ? Did he just take someones passing comment or word for it ? Perhaps this is where the current letters stem from.
              Could it be that this was implied rather than explicitly stated? After all, it has been HMRC&Co's strategy throughout to manipulate language & meaning with breathtaking slipperiness.

You could envisage them saying something like this :

'We became aware of the scheme in 2002, and we advised taxpayers that the scheme didn't work and that money should be paid on account'.

Is that how they managed to introduce this glitch?

Comment

Gauke standard response

Whitehouse are preparing a response to the standard letter most of us have received.

I'll let you know when this is available.

This game of ping pong with Gauke may go on for a while.

Our job is to keep up the pressure through MPs, while Whitehouse do their stuff in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
                  Could it be that this was implied rather than explicitly stated? After all, it has been HMRC&Co's strategy throughout to manipulate language & meaning with breathtaking slipperiness.

You could envisage them saying something like this :

'We became aware of the scheme in 2002, and we advised taxpayers that the scheme didn't work and that money should be paid on account'.

Is that how they managed to introduce this glitch?
                  At best it would have been something like that I reckon. Trouble is that the glitch seems to be the crux of Sheldon/Parker/Osborne/Gauke's justification for legitimate expectation. Hopefully with enough people passing MPs and co enough facts, the penny will drop.
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                    Mock my friend... mock !!
                    Not mocking just saying, one rule for you one rule for them.

Whether you guys are right or wrong on the BN66/S58 thing is not for me to say as I'm not affected as I was never a scheme user. Just saying like.

Comment

just made my contribution - could only afford £200 but will contribute again next month

Comment

Working...
                      X