• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeranger View Post
    tnx for the links.
    Presumably I could just get a CTD and then apply it to e.g. my 2013 tax liability if I don't have to use it for retrospective purposes?

re: MontP - the IOM arm seems to have disappeared completely?
    I have a number for NW ending in 6443 but that just rings out.
    Is that still current or have they moved somewhere?
    Maybe it's just early and she's not in the office yet...
    You could use the CTD for anything you want. I would be amazed if this is over this year though - I reckon 2015 at earliest.

Montp = 01624 623 422
    Fernleigh House
    Palace Road
    Douglas
    Isle Of Man
    Isle Of Man
    IM2 4LB

Does that work?

I can't remember the NW business number off the top of my head - but at the moment her and Tony will probably be working 14 hours a day and doing some very very odd hours.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Hi,

I've just had HMRC come through with a notice of further assessment to the tune of £shedloads for 2006/7 when I was a Montp member

I AM a NTRT member, and read the newsletters and wrote to my MP etc, but I'm not sure if that helps me now.

I have 30 days to pay up or they add another 5% and accrue more interest etc.

Even if NTRT had a good day at parliament recently, presumably this isn't going to produce any immediate results....so I would seem to have to pay out now or risk it going up and up and up.

I was a montp member for several years so am expecting them to turn their beady eyes towards later years too

Has anyone else started receiving these and what's best advice on how to proceed - bend over or appeal in some way that they haven't heard a thousand times already?

tnx
      1/ Did you have a formal enquiry opened for that year ? and before Feb 2009 ?
      2/ Have you received a Closure Notice for that year at all ?

If 1/ didnt happen then they can only open up the enquiry under discovery and from what I understand that is dodgy ground as you didnt withhold any info on your SARs.
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

@brillo - thanks. That number can't put me through to either of them, but they did give me numbers....however NW's voicemailbox seems to be full and TQ is OOO until next week :/
        Hopefully one or other of them will be picking up emails....

@TC, I don't have the details to hand at the moment (am in work), but I do know they requested details of my 2007/08 year, not 2006/07, which is when the further assessment is for.
        Will have to dig out details at the weekend....assuming I get home that is - got to the train station this morning to discover I have a flat tyre but no jack or wheel nut spanner
        It never rains but it pours eh?

Comment

I'll ask Admin to give you PM privileges FR.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I'll ask Admin to give you PM privileges FR.
            Done!

Comment

@brillo - thanks. That number can't put me through to either of them, but they did give me numbers....however NW's voicemailbox seems to be full and TQ is OOO until next week :/
              Hopefully one or other of them will be picking up emails....

@TC, I don't have the details to hand at the moment (am in work), but I do know they requested details of my 2007/08 year, not 2006/07, which is when the further assessment is for.
              Will have to dig out details at the weekend....assuming I get home that is - got to the train station this morning to discover I have a flat tyre but no jack or wheel nut spanner
              It never rains but it pours eh?
              I dropped NW a fb message and gave her a quick call on the mobile but no response. Her and Tony always make stuff like this a priority - all will be sorted. Don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Done!
                thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I dropped NW a fb message and gave her a quick call on the mobile but no response. Her and Tony always make stuff like this a priority - all will be sorted. Don't worry.
                  LOL, it's funny how fb is often the first port of call (over txts or iMessages or emails) certainly of women in my sphere - if it's not an fb message, it's going nowhere

Appreciate your efforts. I'm sure they will prioritise this kind of thing, but if they get loads of them, well there's only 2 people, so some may slip by the way side....hopefully will hear back soon though!

Comment

LOL, it's funny how fb is often the first port of call (over txts or iMessages or emails) certainly of women in my sphere - if it's not an fb message, it's going nowhere

Appreciate your efforts. I'm sure they will prioritise this kind of thing, but if they get loads of them, well there's only 2 people, so some may slip by the way side....hopefully will hear back soon though!
                    At this time of year they are both very hectic - I hope TQ is okay as unscheduled days off are unusual.

But you are right - there are only 2 of them and they get tons of stuff through. Alot of clients (including a few posters here) assume they are bored and grateful to receive something to do! The opposite is true. They are very efficient but only human - and so far not one person has been let down which is amazing.

Did you hear about the time HMRC sent in the baliffs despite the CN being appealed? One of them spent all day on the phone getting that sorted out! And then had 300 emails at the end of the day.

HMRC are a bunch of inefficient, lieing, vindictive twunts - then NW and TQ end up clearing up the mess. We owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

And don't get me started on Brannigan.....

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      1/ Did you have a formal enquiry opened for that year ? and before Feb 2009 ?
                      2/ Have you received a Closure Notice for that year at all ?

If 1/ didnt happen then they can only open up the enquiry under discovery and from what I understand that is dodgy ground as you didnt withhold any info on your SARs.
                      WHS. FR please provide some info for us.

1. Which years did you claim DTA relief?
                      2. Which years did you have s9A TMA 1970 enquiries formally opened within 12 months of submission of tax return?
                      3. Please clarify whether or not your latest letter of additional assessment was issued under a Discovery Notice.
                      4. For which years, if any, did you receive Closure Notices?

Thank you in advance. The reasons for the questions are simply that there are massive and unacceptable inconsistencies in the way that HMRC have dealt with DTA relief claimants' SARs.

Any information is helpful. This applies to everyone. I strongly recommend that you go back over your HMRC correspondence file and check that all enquiries were formally opened within the correct time window, whether or not you have enquiries opened under Discovery (ie after the 12 month window), and in relation to all this for which years you received CNs. We also want to hear from people who did not receive enquiry notices for any years that they claimed relief.

If you want to understand the benefit of doing this, I did it and discovered that formal enquiries were not opened for two years that I claimed relief. This will potentially halve my liability.

If you don't want to post on here, send to the NTRT email address.

FR, BP's advice is good advice - let Montpelier deal with it, they are your appointed agents.
                      Last edited by Emigre; 18 January 2013, 11:37. Reason: mind dump not complete
                      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                      X