• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very short director's loan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very short director's loan?

Bearing in mind that the company money is not my money, what would you do if you knew your personal account was going to be heavily overdrawn due to cocking up dates on payments, and you had money in the company account?

Options include issuing a dividend you hadn't planned, or issuing a director's loan for about 24 hours, I think? Is it worth the hassle to avoid £30 in fees - does a loan have to be formally issued or could one even get away with moving the money for a day and then returning it... again I know company money isn't mine to play with so what is the situation here?

Grr, hate it when you are normally organised and then one thing is out by a day and screws the whole thing up!!!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Bearing in mind that the company money is not my money, what would you do if you knew your personal account was going to be heavily overdrawn due to cocking up dates on payments, and you had money in the company account?

Options include issuing a dividend you hadn't planned, or issuing a director's loan for about 24 hours, I think? Is it worth the hassle to avoid £30 in fees - does a loan have to be formally issued or could one even get away with moving the money for a day and then returning it... again I know company money isn't mine to play with so what is the situation here?

Grr, hate it when you are normally organised and then one thing is out by a day and screws the whole thing up!!!
    You could always pay yourself £100 in mileage or salary and make a mistake paying £10000 into that account. WHen you realise transfer back the £9900 and note it in the accounts.

Comment

WHS

'Mistakes' happen all the time. Have you got a CT bill or VAT bill outstanding? Pay yourself by mistake then correct it in a few days time.

Get creative
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Apart from the creative option, there's nothing wrong with doing a short term loan. If it's outstanding less than a month then there's often no benefit in kind, and again no BIK if it's under £5,000.

Or charge yourself interest at 4%, then there's no BIK either. Just make sure it's repaid within 9 months of your year end to avoid extra CT.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          Apart from the creative option, there's nothing wrong with doing a short term loan. If it's outstanding less than a month then there's often no benefit in kind, and again no BIK if it's under £5,000.

Or charge yourself interest at 4%, then there's no BIK either. Just make sure it's repaid within 9 months of your year end to avoid extra CT.
          As ever, perfect accounting advice from Clare.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post

So is there any BIK if it is more than 5K, but less than one month. I couldn't find any resources on the 'one month' aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              So is there any BIK if it is more than 5K, but less than one month. I couldn't find any resources on the 'one month' aspect.
              I was of the understanding.....

A penny over 5K and the whole lot attracts BIK regardless of duration. It is paid back with 9 months of month end.

I would guess if Clare does mean no BIK in a month is due to allowances for calculation of BIK rather than any official edict allowing it.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 13 April 2012, 21:44.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                WHS

'Mistakes' happen all the time. Have you got a CT bill or VAT bill outstanding? Pay yourself by mistake then correct it in a few days time.

Get creative
                Even though I don't like messing with expenses and tax I would probably take this approach... that or ring the bank and see if they will authorise the overdraft in this one case.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

A penny over 5K and the whole lot attracts BIK regardless of duration.
                  That's my understanding also, although it's based on cursory reading. It's dealt with in Ch. 17 of 480 (Expenses and benefits). I can't see any exemption for duration, but an (aggregate) loan of 5k or more is covered (Section 180(1)):

"No tax is chargeable if the total balance outstanding on all beneficial loans does not exceed £5,000
                  throughout the year of assessment in question. This means that, in strictness, where this exemption
                  could be applicable it will be necessary to calculate and consider the total balance outstanding on all
                  an individual’s beneficial loans on a day to day basis." [....]

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

A penny over 5K and the whole lot attracts BIK regardless of duration. It is paid back with 9 months of month end.

I would guess if Clare does mean no BIK in a month is due to allowances for calculation of BIK rather than any official edict allowing it.
                    It is the interest which is the BIK, not the principal amount.

If you borrow £10k at the official rate (say 4%) for a year, and repay the company £10400, then there is no BIK.

If you were to take £10k (assume 4%), for a month, your BIK would be £33, so you'd pay 40% of that and the company would pay 12.8%.

The 9 month thing is about the 25% CT charge - which is to persuade directors not to take massive loans for their own use.

Source: http://www.indicator.co.uk/upload/UKCDMABK_sample.pdf
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X