• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT invoices

Mainly after a sanity check before I threaten to nuke all that is BT.

I have been asking BT since December 2005 for VAT invoices for the phone lines I use (residential lines but I charge them to my co). They have spectacularly failed to provide them. I have stated that, where VAT has been charged, I am legally entitled to a VAT invoice. The off-shored 'customer services' goon says 'you can see the VAT charged on the eBilling website'. Yes I can but it also clearly states that what you see online is not a VAT invoice.

I'm not actually VAT registered at the moment so it's not a huge issue but it's more a principle that I am entitled to this and I'm not getting it!

Any comments, suggested courses for action or just abuse gratefully received.

Do you actually need a 'VAT invoice' or is it enough to prove that you paid for it and that VAT was chargable? I'm on FRVS myself but still find getting any sort of a receipt/invoice can be a nightmare, especially for things paid with standing orders.

Comment

I spent 12 months trying get bills from BT that showed the VAT I'd paid. They always promised either I'd get the details on my next bill or they'd posted out another copy with details I needed included, nothing ever showed up and in the end I just gave up it wasn't worth the stress of constantly phoning and trying to explain to some numpty what I wanted and why

Hope you have more luck than me!

Comment

Don't mess around. Just call the HMCR helpline and tell them there is a supplier who is charging you VAT but refusing to provide a valid VAT receipt. I was in exactly the same situation once and the required paperwork arrived within a fortnight of the call to HMC&E (as they were then). The VAT people take a very dim view of this and are one of a handful of bods who can actually put a rocket up BT's arse.

Comment

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P46_8971

Although there is not right to deduct HMCR will generally allow it.

ISTR that there is something in the VAT regs about only having to supply a VAT invoice to a vat registered entity. BT might be able to argue that a residential line is only supplied to an individual and business or self employed customers should have a business line.

Strictly you shouldn't be claiming the VAT anyway since the vatable supply chain has been broken.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not currently claiming the VAT (not VAT registered yet) but I just like to have all the paperwork in order as an online printout attached to my expenses looks soooo dodgy.

Interestingly, in my last permie job, we had loads of residential lines for homeworkers and BT managed to provide VAT invoices for them, so I know they can do it for that type of line.

Comment

Register for Flat-Rate VAT - works fine for me and is very easy. No need to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by funkyd
                Register for Flat-Rate VAT - works fine for me and is very easy. No need to worry about it.
                Agreed, far easier and it saves you money!
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                  Agreed, far easier and it saves you money!
                  Agreed also. Think creatively, and register yourself in the 11% band as Other business not listed elsewhere. According to my contact at the VAT office (lovely, helpful lady), there's not a lot of checking up done here.
                  I found that as my input VAT is nominal, then this is worth about 4% profit to me annually. Oh, and there's a 1% discount in your 1st year of joining the FRS scheme.
                  "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X