• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC increase the Home Office allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What would you advise someone who actually works from home, rather than claiming they run a home office for business admin? I've nearly always worked at home - both for paying clients and on my plan B - so I expense £100/month which is 10-15% of the house's 'running costs', on the basis one room in the house is set aside as my full-time office.
    This is what is on their website:

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/...e%20Office.pdf

seems a choice between the flat rate or setting up a rental agreement.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I believe the only people in the UK with a legal right to enter your home at any stage, is HMRC and the Customs and Excise peeps.
      There was song about this decades ago, it had a chorus "We've a statutary right to enter in your home" Flanders and Swan? It was quite a long song anyway.

PS Ah no, it was Richard Stilgoe. "Statutory Right of Entry to your Home" (And he spelt stattuetary correctly)

PPS Also:

•Fire Brigade
      •Gas and Electricity Suppliers
      •Water Companies
      •Housing
      •Planning and Rating
      •Mental Health
      •Infectious Diseases and Illness
      •Pests and Vermin
      •Smoking
      •Concerns about children
      •Search Orders
      •Bailiffs and Enforcement Officers

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrig...ome/index.html
      Last edited by xoggoth; 4 March 2012, 09:43.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        This is what is on their website:

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/...e%20Office.pdf

seems a choice between the flat rate or setting up a rental agreement.
        Originally posted by NixonWilliams site
        If you trade through a limited company it is possible that you can claim for more than £156 per annum, however, you will need
        to set up a rental agreement between you and your company. Failure to have a formal agreement could lead HMRC to classify
        the rent as extra salary with the Tax/NIC consequences of this.
        Now I'm more confused, I never heard this (formal rental agreement) being advised by my current or my previous accountant.

I've previously got my information from:
        Specific deductions: use of home: specific expenses
        Specific deductions: use of home: examples
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Now I'm more confused, I never heard this (formal rental agreement) being advised by my current or my previous accountant.

I've previously got my information from:
          Specific deductions: use of home: specific expenses
          Specific deductions: use of home: examples
          It is an option, but as I said in a previous post, it is not something we would generally recommend.

However for clients who show an interest in doing it, we have the details of what they need to do in order to be successful.

Alan

Comment

Working...
          X