• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 & Ltd Company Accounting Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 & Ltd Company Accounting Year

Hi

I have read that for Ltd companies with contracts within IR35 then an accounting reference date of 5th April is preferable. If anyone has direct experience of this scenario I just wanted to check that this was still the received wisdom?

On the 5th April reference date, my assumption would be:
    - IR35 deemed payment would be based on any receipts up to 5th April (e.g. typically up to a Feb invoice).
    - anything invoiced but not received (e.g. for March) would fall into the next year's IR35 deemed payment, but would still accrue in the current period in terms of the company accounts

Many thanks in advance -

Can I ask what makes you think this is deemed best practice if you are inside IR35?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sco View Post
      Hi

I have read that for Ltd companies with contracts within IR35 then an accounting reference date of 5th April is preferable. If anyone has direct experience of this scenario I just wanted to check that this was still the received wisdom?

- IR35 deemed payment would be based on any receipts up to 5th April (e.g. typically up to a Feb invoice).
      - anything invoiced but not received (e.g. for March) would fall into the next year's IR35 deemed payment, but would still accrue in the current period in terms of the company accounts

Many thanks in advance -
      Jeez....

1. Not everything is about IR35.

2. You should be using cash accounting, not accrual accounting.

3. The IR35 deemed payment calculation is due at company year end. We're not in business to make HMRC's life easy.

4. You probably aren't caught by IR35 anyway. 99.4% of cases that have been challenged to date have been found outside.

5a. What does your accountant say? Yes, a cliché, but if he isn't giving you correct advice, he is costing you lots of money. That's not what you pay him for - or

5b. Why do you not have an expert accountant?

HTH. We live in hope.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The only reason for suggesting a 5th April accounting date is that it will fit in with the personal tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          The only reason for suggesting a 5th April accounting date is that it will fit in with the personal tax year.
          That's the personal tax year, it has no bearing on the company one. You only have to know how much the company invoiced in the previous 12 months, if the OP really wants to decide that you're caught for a tax that he probably isn't.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

A slight benefit in that your expenses for your accounts will tie in with your expenses in the IR35 calculation. As you mention, IR35 is calculated on a cash basis, and your accounts are done on an accrual basis, so the turnover in the your accounts will often not match that used for you IR35 calculation.
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Thanks for the assistance everyone, it doesn't sound like any particular company accounting year is essential in this scenario... appreciate your guidance

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                That's the personal tax year, it has no bearing on the company one. You only have to know how much the company invoiced in the previous 12 months, if the OP really wants to decide that you're caught for a tax that he probably isn't.
                No but if you are caught mind be (slightly) easier to work out.

Comment

Originally posted by sco View Post
                  Hi

Many thanks in advance -
                  For inside IR35 its marginally easier to do the sums with a 5th April year end - that's all.
                  P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Working...
                  X