• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ESC16 & reopenig company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You did say that but you have badgered on and on about this which doesn't back up your claims.
    No, you are right, I have gone on about this. I think partly I'm jealous of the guys I know who have done this, particularly my friend who withdrew close to 200k and paid very little tax, who is also trying to convince me its just a legal loophole. It is something that I do see as illegal and risky though, so am not seriously considering it, just bouncing ideas really. I'll probably bow out here.

Comment

Originally posted by waccoe View Post
      No, you are right, I have gone on about this. I think partly I'm jealous of the guys I know who have done this, particularly my friend who withdrew close to 200k and paid very little tax, who is also trying to convince me its just a legal loophole. It is something that I do see as illegal and risky though, so am not seriously considering it, just bouncing ideas really. I'll probably bow out here.
      When someone smashes a car window, nicks a car stereo, flogs it on and pays no tax, do you feel jealous?

Jealousy of those who break the law seems a strange attitude.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        When someone smashes a car window, nicks a car stereo, flogs it on and pays no tax, do you feel jealous?

Jealousy of those who break the law seems a strange attitude.
        I do admit it pisses me off royally when what goes around doesn't come around and then I get both barrels for the slightest thing but jealousy it isn't.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I do admit it pisses me off royally when what goes around doesn't come around and then I get both barrels for the slightest thing but jealousy it isn't.
          If you know someone who has evaded their tax, then ring HMRC and shop them. Don't think "oooh, they do this, so I'll do the same thing"

Or if you do, don't come bleating that you get screwed by HMRC.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you read the first post in the thread, you'll see why I started this. I thought that this was illegal, which is why I came on here in the first place, to get some facts, not for all the p*ss taking comments.

The fact that contractor forums post articles such as this, <snip> admittedly for contractors retiring or moving back into permanent employment, and also the fact that accounting websites such as this End of ESC C16 (on striking off a company) [Archive] - UK Business Forums state things like this below....

"That's another one of the objections that's been forwarded to HMRC. Under the ESC, HMRC had to give their advance clearance, so one would have hoped that they'd keep an eye open for blatant abuse and of course it was only a concession and could be revoked after the event if the assurances given were broken.

Now, it seems there is no such clearance and as the new proposal is to be law, it seems HMRC won't have the ability to revoke the capital treatment as easily as under the old concession. HMRC are going to have a hard job to object and argue the capital treatment shouldn't apply as they're going to have to use existing anti-avoidance laws which are vague and seldom used."

Make this all a slightly greyer area than nicking a car stereo and shopping people for tax avoidance. There's lots of things we all do to legally avoid paying extra tax, I've just come on here to get a bit of clarity & advice, something I thought these forums were all about.

Comment

And everyone is debating, if in a forthright manner
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by WHA View Post

The change is that you can't do it for over £25k unless you go down the formal liquidation route, but again this route doesn't have a "clearance" system so again HMRC won't know about it.

So, the reality is that more people are likely to be able to abuse the system because the prior "clearance" is scrapped, and so HMRC havn't the foggiest idea about what's going on and therefore have a greatly reduced chance of catching the abusers.
                So the average contractor could shut her own company down 4 times a year and HMRC would know no difference?

Comment

Originally posted by WHA View Post
                  So, the reality is that more people are likely to be able to abuse the system because the prior "clearance" is scrapped, and so HMRC havn't the foggiest idea about what's going on and therefore have a greatly reduced chance of catching the abusers.
                  In my experience, applying for ESC C16 in itself does not increase the chances of the contractor getting a compliance visit from the HMRC. I think after this change has gone through, the chances of catching the abusers will still be about the same.

@Fishface - I don't see much in the way of tax advantage by closing a company every 3 months, as entrepreneurs relief will not apply.
                  2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
                  X