• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a motocycle/scooter through the company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a motocycle/scooter through the company

Found an interesting news article about buying a motorbike through the company and being able to reclaim the full tax againt the company as it is not classed as plant. It does mention self-employed though...

The tax deductable motorbike and scooter

Any of our accountancy guru's put this one in nice simpe terms for me please? Specifically,

Can we do it?
    Will affect car allowance as we will need this on rainy days ?

any gotchas or problems besides the comment below about solely for business.

bike solely for business use can deduct 100% of its cost from their taxable profits by claiming it as an annual investment on their tax return.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Interesting...and I've been trying to find the stuff on low emission cars too; what you can buy, how much is deductable, etc etc, but couldn't find that one...any ideas?

Congrats on the award btw (he said bowing and scraping)
    Clarity is everything

Comment

I did cars not so long back. Let me see if I can find the the thread. It upshot is it is only worth doing with cars under 110 g emissions. You can find a list of them on the web. It is in the thread. Give me a sec.

EDIT : Here you go.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...h-company.html

There was also a thread about it in general a couple of months ago.

Congrats on the award btw (he said bowing and scraping)
      Thank you. Stick around long enough and you will be WTF like me and some other posers as well
      Last edited by northernladuk; 11 January 2012, 18:31.

Comment

Oh, maybe I read something somewhere else then which gave a breakdown based on emissions & what the business impact was. Thanks for helping out though.

Is that the trade off for the award then NLUK? You have to put in 13 hours a day here on CUK otherwise they take the gong away?
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Oh, maybe I read something somewhere else then which gave a breakdown based on emissions & what the business impact was. Thanks for helping out though.

Is that the trade off for the award then NLUK? You have to put in 13 hours a day here on CUK otherwise they take the gong away?
          Is this what you mean?

Company Car Tax Band 2011/2012 | BIK Rate | CO2 emissions |Next Green Car

I put 13 hours a day in because I have no life, no friends and nothing better to do.....but thanks for pointing that out

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Found an interesting news article about buying a motorbike through the company and being able to reclaim the full tax againt the company as it is not classed as plant. It does mention self-employed though...
            Yes, it's been discussed here. Did you do a search?

Here's how it works:

1. You buy a motorbike which you will use wholly and exclusively for business.
            2. Claim back the 20% VAT
            3. Write off 100% of the cost of the motorbike against your company profits in the first year
            4. Not sure if you can claim for protective gear but it's not hard to spend a grand on gear so it's worth checking if it's counted as "safety equipment".
            5. The bike is still a company asset so when you sell it, you have to pay HMRC VAT on the sale price and the money from selling the asset goes into your company account as income. Of course, if the bike isn't in very good condition (damage/mileage etc) then your company might not get a very good price for it when it comes to sell. You might even buy it off the company at trade in value after a few years.

My calculations (probably completely wrong)

£12,000 bike

£2,000 VAT reclaimed
            £2,000 CT avoided
            You run it for 3 years and let's say the trade in value after that time is £6000 (INC VAT)
            Pay £1,000 VAT on the sale to HMRC
            Company takes £5,000 and pays £1,000 CT on that

Net saving over 3 years was £2,000 or 20% of the purchase cost.

If it's a company bike used only for business then you may be able to put all the running costs (insurance, tyres, servicing etc) through the company and there is a saving on that too.

Seems like it's worth doing IF you can justify it as a business use only vehicle and other use is merely incidental.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Don't forget the benefit in kind - 20% of market value. Nicely different to cars which are always based on list value :-)
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Yes, it's been discussed here. Did you do a search?
                Funneee

I did search but everything is from 2007 and the article mentioned something had changed to allow the offset of the full amount.

Saftey gear is allowed for bicycle.

Nice numbers. Will mull over those.

The obvious sticking point as always is the wholly exclusively for work. With bikes it is 50% of use is for work.

Comment

oooooooooor...buy classic bikes as an investment, SORN them so there's no confusion about there business in kind benefit.

If you want to risk it once in a while and take one untaxed to the local classic bike run then that's not your Ltd's concern is it

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    Don't forget the benefit in kind - 20% of market value. Nicely different to cars which are always based on list value :-)
                    Do bicycles incur BIK? Why would a motorbike be different to a pushiron?

Comment

Working...
                    X