• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Have you read the comments about Parasol on this board?

Look, someone may as well say it now because contracting is no game and you may thank someone in the long run for being harsh now. You seem to be wanting someone to wipe your arse here for you. That alone tells me you are likely not suited to contracting. The world is full of permies who thought "contractors earn a wedge so I'll just do it for three months and fill my boots" and then ended up begin ripped off or worse. Read the PCG First Timers' Guides carefully and thoroughly, then decide.
    Whats your problem? I asked a simple question in a civil tone, you dont want to help then shut up. For your information I don't think "contractors earn a wedge so I'll just do it for three months and fill my boots" nor do I want "someone to wipe your arse for me"

I am new to this and assumed (wrongly in your case) I could get a bit of friendly advice from people who had been there.

Comment

Excellent, you are obviously well suited to being a contractor so welcome aboard. Prosperity4 are favoured by many, suggest you give them a try.

Comment

"contractors earn a wedge so I'll just do it for three months and fill my boots"

i think that.. unfortunately Mr Brown takes such a huge chunk of it through stealth or otherwise, the girlfriend seems to have a passion for Chateau Neuf du Pape and whats left seems to go into the upkeep of Chef Towers.. leaving me with a stack smaller than a gnats foresk!n..

and so "just 3 more months" seems to be the trend of thought at the moment..
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

You want an easy recommendation? Despite what a few whingers on here have put, sign up with Parasol for a few months while you can research what suits you best. They are reasonably priced, quite efficient and unlike some of the others, don't let or encourage you to claim things you either can't or shouldn't.

You want to be seen to be getting stuck in in your first contract (especially the first few weeks), not getting a reputation as someone who spends half their life on the phone to their Accountant.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
            You want an easy recommendation? Despite what a few whingers on here have put, sign up with Parasol for a few months while you can research what suits you best. They are reasonably priced, quite efficient and unlike some of the others, don't let or encourage you to claim things you either can't or shouldn't.

You want to be seen to be getting stuck in in your first contract (especially the first few weeks), not getting a reputation as someone who spends half their life on the phone to their Accountant.
            Very true.

Avoid P4 and look at Parasol or GIANT if you are feeling a bit risky

Comment

Excellent, you are obviously well suited to being a contractor so welcome aboard. Prosperity4 are favoured by many, suggest you give them a try.
              You really have taken an instant disslike to me haven't you, most (but not all) people say avoid Prosperity4, and they seem to have a minimum charge that is NOT for me if I just use them for 3 months! Couple of quotes;
              "Avoid Prosperity4 like the plague!"
              "I'm with them at the moment and can't wait to be shut of them"
              "I'm still using them because I can't get away from them. My own personal experience has been woeful "
              "don't touch these cowboys with a barge pole "

And a reall good one
              "Claim No. 6CM00964
              Chelmsford County Court
              Claim amount: £5438.11
              Issue date: 9 March 2006"

Thanks Lucifer hope you don't mind if I say your advice sux

Comment

Originally posted by Parisno
                Whats your problem? I asked a simple question in a civil tone, you dont want to help then shut up. .
                Except we see the exact same question, or variations of it, every month or so and surprisingly we get a bit tired of answering it. It doesn't matter how good or how senior you are in the real world, as a contractor you are a newbie: the first lesson to learn is to help yourself and you don't do that by asking questions that don't demonstrate a bit of preliminary research. (I know - "I thought I was by asking questions" - sorry, we've heard that one as well).

Do the research and ask focused questions you get decent answers. Expect us to do it for you and you get snapped at. Sorry, but that's life as a contractor.

FWIW the advice you have had so far is spot on - read those two guides, understand them, ask questions on the bits you don't understand (there will be some, honest!) and use Parasol as the starter umbrella.

And don't be too thin-skinned - you won't impress anyone for at least two years.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks Lucifer hope you don't mind if I say your advice sux
                  No worries, squire, you're the expert.

Comment

Whats your problem? I asked a simple question in a civil tone, you dont want to help then shut up. For your information I don't think "contractors earn a wedge so I'll just do it for three months and fill my boots" nor do I want "someone to wipe your arse for me"

I am new to this and assumed (wrongly in your case) I could get a bit of friendly advice from people who had been there.
                    Parsino, clearly you've been in the world of permieland for far too long

Contractors regard personal abuse and sarcastic comments on here as a compliment. Treat the quoted comment like a sort of initiation ceremony - to test whether you could weather the storm as a contractor.

The first thing to learn about contracting is not the good, bad and ugly of brollies, it's that contractors have no manners - they eat with their mouths open, prop their elbows up on the dinner table and blow their noses on their shirt sleeves.

.....at that's just the more civil ones.

Comment

No worries, squire, you're the expert.
                      It's obvious you're a contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X