• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Average accountant price

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
    thanks, didn't realize it can be that expensive with up to 200 a month
    Mostly it isn't. The median is around £100 pcm if you want a budgetary figure. But the point is that a good accountant should save you enough, directly or indirectly, to cover their annual fee anyway. Get the one you feel is the best fit for your needs, and ignore the price.

(And just to be picky, £100 a month is actually £80 when you allow for the CT saving.... )
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Mostly it isn't. The median is around £100 pcm if you want a budgetary figure. But the point is that a good accountant should save you enough, directly or indirectly, to cover their annual fee anyway. Get the one you feel is the best fit for your needs, and ignore the price.
      Whilst I sort of agree with you there is a part that doesn't.

I doubt the savings from my accountant would amount to much. I, and most operate with a simple structure. ie. low salary + divs, very little expenditure - phone, broadband, travel and occasional accommodation.
      There is little room for being creative with this structure.

However I do agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        Whilst I sort of agree with you there is a part that doesn't.

I doubt the savings from my accountant would amount to much. I, and most operate with a simple structure. ie. low salary + divs, very little expenditure - phone, broadband, travel and occasional accommodation.
        There is little room for being creative with this structure.

However I do agree with you.
        It depends on the advice given though, as even basic tax planning advice isn't provided by all accountants. If your accountant doesn't suggest, for example, giving shares to your non-working spouse then that could potentially cost you thousands in extra personal tax. Or lets you build up a big loan account because you're not reclaiming expenses, without suggesting you repay yourself rather than take yet another dividend in higher rates. Both can cost thousands in unnecessary personal tax, which puts accountancy fees of £1,000 a year into context.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          giving shares to your non-working spouse then that could potentially cost you thousands in extra personal tax. .
          Could also cost you thousands in a dvorce settlement......
          P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
            True - but it would be bad form not to make the suggestion in my view, along with telling them the negative implications of taking such a step. Then the client can decide what they want to do based on all the facts (and how much they trust their spouse!)
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              It depends on the advice given though, as even basic tax planning advice isn't provided by all accountants. If your accountant doesn't suggest, for example, giving shares to your non-working spouse then that could potentially cost you thousands in extra personal tax. Or lets you build up a big loan account because you're not reclaiming expenses, without suggesting you repay yourself rather than take yet another dividend in higher rates. Both can cost thousands in unnecessary personal tax, which puts accountancy fees of £1,000 a year into context.
              Fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
                These days, it's unlikely to make too much difference. Particularly if you divorce in London (apparently).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X