• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Average accountant price"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
    Could also cost you thousands in a dvorce settlement......
    These days, it's unlikely to make too much difference. Particularly if you divorce in London (apparently).

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    It depends on the advice given though, as even basic tax planning advice isn't provided by all accountants. If your accountant doesn't suggest, for example, giving shares to your non-working spouse then that could potentially cost you thousands in extra personal tax. Or lets you build up a big loan account because you're not reclaiming expenses, without suggesting you repay yourself rather than take yet another dividend in higher rates. Both can cost thousands in unnecessary personal tax, which puts accountancy fees of £1,000 a year into context.
    Fair point.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    True - but it would be bad form not to make the suggestion in my view, along with telling them the negative implications of taking such a step. Then the client can decide what they want to do based on all the facts (and how much they trust their spouse!)

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    giving shares to your non-working spouse then that could potentially cost you thousands in extra personal tax. .

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Whilst I sort of agree with you there is a part that doesn't.

I doubt the savings from my accountant would amount to much. I, and most operate with a simple structure. ie. low salary + divs, very little expenditure - phone, broadband, travel and occasional accommodation.
    There is little room for being creative with this structure.

However I do agree with you.
    It depends on the advice given though, as even basic tax planning advice isn't provided by all accountants. If your accountant doesn't suggest, for example, giving shares to your non-working spouse then that could potentially cost you thousands in extra personal tax. Or lets you build up a big loan account because you're not reclaiming expenses, without suggesting you repay yourself rather than take yet another dividend in higher rates. Both can cost thousands in unnecessary personal tax, which puts accountancy fees of £1,000 a year into context.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Mostly it isn't. The median is around £100 pcm if you want a budgetary figure. But the point is that a good accountant should save you enough, directly or indirectly, to cover their annual fee anyway. Get the one you feel is the best fit for your needs, and ignore the price.
    Whilst I sort of agree with you there is a part that doesn't.

I doubt the savings from my accountant would amount to much. I, and most operate with a simple structure. ie. low salary + divs, very little expenditure - phone, broadband, travel and occasional accommodation.
    There is little room for being creative with this structure.

However I do agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
    thanks, didn't realize it can be that expensive with up to 200 a month
    Mostly it isn't. The median is around £100 pcm if you want a budgetary figure. But the point is that a good accountant should save you enough, directly or indirectly, to cover their annual fee anyway. Get the one you feel is the best fit for your needs, and ignore the price.

(And just to be picky, £100 a month is actually £80 when you allow for the CT saving.... )

Leave a comment:

• ba55meister
    replied
    thanks, didn't realize it can be that expensive with up to 200 a month

Leave a comment:

• Jeremiah@RHJAccountants
    replied
    Hi

I'm looking to open a limited company very soon and was just wondering what were average accountant rates? Fixed monthly fees?

thanks
    Give a few accountants a call and see what service they provide and what service you need and who you get on with too.

Also try and get one main point of contact if you can.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I'm paying £91/month with a local firm

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I think the £200 is thankfully something of a rarity though!
    Tell that to my last accountant

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied
    Hi

I'm looking to open a limited company very soon and was just wondering what were average accountant rates? Fixed monthly fees?

thanks
    I advise you decide on what you want from your accountant before looking at the price. Are you after face to face meetings? daily contact with a designated accountant? out to build a working relationship? or do you just need a call centre that is going to process the figures you send them at the end of each financial year.

Different accountants provide different levels of service.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Current thread discussing accountants...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...s-mk-area.html

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    So the average is £130 a month. That makes us £25 a month cheaper than average....
    I think the £200 is thankfully something of a rarity though!

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Anywhere from £60 a month to £200 a month.

I'd suggest you go for someone who's been personally recommended to you, or give a few people a call and see who you get on with!
    So the average is £130 a month. That makes us £25 a month cheaper than average....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X