• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Orange Genie: umbrella won't let me submit invoices.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helpFul View Post
    I've only been a contractor since 1982. What are you "cut out to be" ?
    Me ? I'm cut out to be someone who knows how to get paid.

So, you've been a contractor since 1982 and you don't know how to deal with a payment issue ? Your best shot at fixing it is to post badly written questions (or were they statements ?) about the OrangeGenie portal and the OrangeGenie email address and the OrangeGenie people not answering the Orangegenie phone and you not being able to submit your OrangGenie timesheets in order to get your OrangeGenie payment ?

So, it's taken you almost 20 years experience to get up to the level of 'tosser'. Congrats !!
    Last edited by TestMangler; 15 November 2011, 19:39.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

contracting since 1982 and still using umbrella companies?

I don't believe it. That sounds insane.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
        contracting since 1982 and still using umbrella companies?

I don't believe it. That sounds insane.
        Not "still", rather now, using an umbrella company.

The insanity resides within your own arbitrary inference.

Comment

Originally posted by helpFul View Post
          Not "still", rather now, using an umbrella company.

The insanity resides within your own arbitrary inference.
          My "still" was more about the fact that no contractor, especially one so experienced should be using them at all.

Setting up and closing down a limited company is easy as a few clicks on t'interweb.

Comment

My "still" was more about the fact that no contractor, especially one so experienced should be using them at all.

Setting up and closing down a limited company is easy as a few clicks on t'interweb.
            Why?
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Why?
              You are far better off financially in LTD. Have more flexibility and don't have the additional risk of non-payment or irritation.

Cue Lisas Response: In IR35 are you sure?

Yes I am. IR35 is scare mongering by those with vested interests. Very few cases and even fewer wins for HMRC. Additionally PCG membership is far cheaper than an umbrella set up.

Comment

You are far better off financially in LTD. Have more flexibility and don't have the additional risk of non-payment or irritation.

Yes I am. IR35 is scare mongering by those with vested interests. Very few cases and even fewer wins for HMRC. Additionally PCG membership is far cheaper than an umbrella set up.
                Actually I wasn't going to mention IR35; we have many contractors using our services who would be outside IR35 but they chose not to operate through a Ltd Co. Yes, I agree, outside IR35, you will be better off financially but that is not the driving force for everyone - some people just like an easy life. I certainly wouldn't say that a Ltd Co contract has no risk of non-payment, in fact in some ways I would suggest you have an increased risk. I also wouldn't agree that you would have less irritation - for a start you have to deal with HMRC direct
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Not everyone wants to run a business. Not everyone is outside IR35. I know at least one esteemed poster on here who uses an umbrella company for exactly those reasons - inside IR35 and doesn't want to run a business. In that case, why would you not go umbrella?

The only thing I think you are right on is that there is an additional link in the chain that might not pay you. If the cap fits, wear it.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Not everyone wants to run a business. Not everyone is outside IR35. I know at least one esteemed poster on here who uses an umbrella company for exactly those reasons - inside IR35 and doesn't want to run a business. In that case, why would you not go umbrella?

The only thing I think you are right on is that there is an additional link in the chain that might not pay you. If the cap fits, wear it.
                    Inside IR35 you may as well go umbrella. I wasn't arguiing the inside case. My point was not many are inside and HMRC don't appear to be having much of an impact with it so therefore the IR35 argument is usually not a great one for the pro's of umbrella use.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      Yes, I agree, outside IR35, you will be better off financially but that is not the driving force for everyone - some people just like an easy life. I certainly wouldn't say that a Ltd Co contract has no risk of non-payment, in fact in some ways I would suggest you have an increased risk. I also wouldn't agree that you would have less irritation - for a start you have to deal with HMRC direct
                      I DIY everything. It doesn't take much time. Life is easy. We run very stright forward businesses. 1 or 2 revenue sources at a time, not many expenses and not much to worry about in terms of employees.

Therefore, I don't get the "easy life" motivation either.

Comment

Working...
                      X