• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

recharging expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I agree with your thoughts but given the amount of money involved I put it down to experience. In addition, I found that the agency's self invoicing system made it very hard to get them to take any notice of anything I sent to them. In the end they even started to put the phone down when I called them.

I won't say how, but I did get what was owed to me anyway by other means. I will never work through that agency again and I will try to put off anyone who I know is thinking of working through them, most of the jobs are always up with several agents so you get to choose who to apply through.
    What does this agency name sound like?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Assuming you're still within the 2 years rule - so you're already claiming home to client travel - it will be from whereever you start your journey to the training course.
      I disagree - it's nothing to do with the 2 year rule what you charge your client for mileage and travel. It's only what you pay your employee / reimburse the director where the 2 year rule comes into play.

Bill the client as much as you can get away with.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I agree with your thoughts but given the amount of money involved I put it down to experience. In addition, I found that the agency's self invoicing system made it very hard to get them to take any notice of anything I sent to them. In the end they even started to put the phone down when I called them.

I won't say how, but I did get what was owed to me anyway by other means. I will never work through that agency again and I will try to put off anyone who I know is thinking of working through them, most of the jobs are always up with several agents so you get to choose who to apply through.
        I'm going through this argument with a model contract at the moment so name and shame or send me a pm pls.

Comment

Bump this thead please - I was searching old threads to see if I could find one about recharging expenses and whether I needed to keep photocopies of receipts for hector - as my client would want the originals to pay the claim. Anyway I found this thread instead and was very surprised that travel expenses etc would have VAT added twice for the client to pay - very sneaky!
          Anyway my question off the back of all that is as follows - my client only pays these expenses on overseas assignments, hotel, taxis, meals etc so will additional UK VAT still be applicable when I put the claim in?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by windowlicka View Post
            Bump this thead please - I was searching old threads to see if I could find one about recharging expenses and whether I needed to keep photocopies of receipts for hector - as my client would want the originals to pay the claim. Anyway I found this thread instead and was very surprised that travel expenses etc would have VAT added twice for the client to pay - very sneaky!
            Anyway my question off the back of all that is as follows - my client only pays these expenses on overseas assignments, hotel, taxis, meals etc so will additional UK VAT still be applicable when I put the claim in?

thanks.
            Do people even attempt to understand their situation with these questions or just ask them, they get an answer and go away none the wiser????
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry if Ive misunderstood this thread, it was getting on last night but seeing as most of my time will be spent outside the UK it seemed a valid question and one that could prove very costly if I get it wrong!
              The OP was told that his training costs should be reclaimed with VAT added regardless of whether VAT had already been paid in the original price and a link to the HMRC site confirmed this.
              Does not seem logical to me but there you go, however the link didnt mention overseas expenses and if VAT in GBP should be added to a 10 EUR lunch bought in Europe at he client site, Im guessing the answer is going to be Yes again but just wanted to confirm.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by windowlicka View Post
                Sorry if Ive misunderstood this thread, it was getting on last night but seeing as most of my time will be spent outside the UK it seemed a valid question and one that could prove very costly if I get it wrong!
                The OP was told that his training costs should be reclaimed with VAT added regardless of whether VAT had already been paid in the original price and a link to the HMRC site confirmed this.
                Does not seem logical to me but there you go, however the link didnt mention overseas expenses and if VAT in GBP should be added to a 10 EUR lunch bought in Europe at he client site, Im guessing the answer is going to be Yes again but just wanted to confirm.

thanks.
                Assuming I've read it correctly (by no menas a given...) if you're invoicing a UK client for work done by your UK company in the UK, you have to charge VAT. The fact that you have to visit overseas locations to deliver the work is incidental, you are in effect supplying in the UK where VAT is applicable. If the whole gig was non-UK, then the situation changes.

And if you're client is VAT registered, they won't care anyway.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Regardless of how you treat the VAT, you need to first ask if the expenses that you are claiming meet the various tests set by HMRC.

See the PCG advice Here

This is all basic stuff you should know when running a business anyway. I don't know whether your 10 Euro lunch was an arbitrary answer but it's unlikely to be a (tax) claimable expense anyway so whilst it's a grey area, if your client is happy to pay for your meals, then yes you need to recharge VAT on them if you are billing in the UK and are VAT registered.

Comment

Working...
                  X