• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPhone4 to 4S upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone4 to 4S upgrade

Hello all,

Question from me regarding iphone4 to iPhone4S upgrade costs.

What is my stance with this....can I expense the cost of the new handset through my limited company?

Is it an eligible expense? I would say that the "using" of the phone is of course....but I guess I'm asking about the justification of the upgrade cost?

Also, what would I do with the existing iPhone4?? Which I'm sure I bought personally and didn't claim for originally.

Any help would be welcome.

Many thanks, LG
    Good things come to those who wait

Like **** ....Go out and earn it!!!

If the contract is in the company name then I'd say you're fine to claim for it.

Assuming you bought the existing one personally then it's neither here nor there, it's a personal asset.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

At the end of the day most of that money will be coming out of your pocket anyway. The only saving to you is the difference in CT so don't kid yourself you are getting it for free.

I assume your phone contract is in the company name to be claimable as well?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The question I always ask myself is, "Would my MP expense this?" So obviously everything is allowable, and if not a simple apology and paying back just the tax would be sufficient.

Btw Claire, personal assets can be transferred to the business at a reasonable cost. I did that with a server I owned that was hosted in a data centre.

Comment

Jeues

Originally posted by Lloyd1981 View Post
          Hello all,

Question from me regarding iphone4 to iPhone4S upgrade costs.

What is my stance with this....can I expense the cost of the new handset through my limited company?

Is it an eligible expense? I would say that the "using" of the phone is of course....but I guess I'm asking about the justification of the upgrade cost?

Also, what would I do with the existing iPhone4?? Which I'm sure I bought personally and didn't claim for originally.

Any help would be welcome.

Many thanks, LG
          Yes FFS its a business expense

Sell your existing one back to O2 (check there website, £284 refund for an old Iphone4)

I got a quote today £139 for an upgrade + 284 quid back for my old one - no brainer

Comment

Accountants

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            The question I always ask myself is, "Would my MP expense this?" So obviously everything is allowable, and if not a simple apology and paying back just the tax would be sufficient.

Btw Claire, personal assets can be transferred to the business at a reasonable cost. I did that with a server I owned that was hosted in a data centre.
            Indeed some Accountants are 0% risk adverse to anything !!!! and if you belive some on expenses you can't claim for anything.

Comment

What about this page at HMRC

It explicitly states "Please note that the rules in this guide don’t apply to a device such as an iPhone or BlackBerry – the range of functions these devices offer means that HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) doesn’t consider them to be primarily mobile phones. For details of the rules that apply, see the A to Z entry ‘Assets made available to an employee’.

So would you have to pay the BIK if buying an iphone through the ltdco?

Comment

Ok so we see that a business can supply a NON-smart phone to an employee for business and personal use and there is no BIK implication as long as the contract is in the company's name.

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                So would you have to pay the BIK if buying an iphone through the ltdco?
                Smart phones are different (iPhone and Blackberry are specifically named but presumably Android too) and this exemption doesn't apply. Rather, it comes under the rules for Business assets made available to an employee.

If it's for business use only then there is no tax to pay. If there is an element of private use then you calculate the apportionment of private vs business use, your accountant would calculate the benefit to the employee and the tax on the BIK.

I'm sure most companies have business assets which fall into this category. I would suggest that you deal with it in the same way as you would deal with (say) a laptop computer purchased for business use....
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

It would be nice if that was true.

I was moaning about MP's expenses being unreasonable and excessive to a friend the other day and he countered with the question "Well, how do you define what is reasonable then?"

Simple, I said. There are hundreds of pages of definitions of what are reasonable business expenses published by HMRC and all MPs should simply abide by these rules. Why have one rule for their allowable expenses and another for everyone else?

Sadly, I don't think I will be expensing a duck house any time soon...
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Obviously, that is why a couple of them went to gaol.. Fill your boots...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X