• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Nixon Williams have descended into new levels of hopelessness for me so looking for up to date recommendations if anyone has any.

I'd like a company that is technologically up to date (some sort of dashboard or accounting software for me to use would be good), competent and responsive (same/next business day, not next week). Any recommendations?
    I'm 6 years in with Gorilla, always same or next day replies, everything done in reasonable timescales

Could be down to luck of the draw of which accountant you are assigned but I've had 3 over the 6 years and not had any issues so far. To be honest if you are on the ball with your records (via FreeAgent) there isn't much for them to do/get wrong, but I like having a second opinion / someone available to ask questions on things etc

Comment

Is anyone facing issues with RHJ Accountants lately? I've been with its founder for over 10 years, followed him from Upton to Smith Craven and then RHJ. Never phoned him once to bother with anything and gave loads of recommendations too. Since the termination of my contract due to IR35, I have been struggling to get anything done.

Comment

Originally posted by ksareen View Post
        Is anyone facing issues with RHJ Accountants lately? I've been with its founder for over 10 years, followed him from Upton to Smith Craven and then RHJ. Never phoned him once to bother with anything and gave loads of recommendations too. Since the termination of my contract due to IR35, I have been struggling to get anything done.
        Time to phone him and bother him then? Maybe because you've done that he sees you as low priorty because you don't complain?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Going back to the contracting fold. Was thinking this time managing the accountancy side myself via freeagent. Is it worth the hassle? Or should I just pay an accountant and forget about it?

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post
            Going back to the contracting fold. Was thinking this time managing the accountancy side myself via freeagent. Is it worth the hassle? Or should I just pay an accountant and forget about it?
            If you have to ask then just pay an accountant and forget about it. If you really want to go yourself then stick to them like glue, watch every process needed in a year and then do it yourself next year.

Comment

There are recent posts from myself on this very question. Look them up. I think that as NLUK points out though, the fact you are asking is a likely indication that DIY isn't for you.

DIY can work just fine, I am living proof of it. But DIY doesn't suit everyone.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

There are recent posts from myself on this very question. Look them up. I think that as NLUK points out though, the fact you are asking is a likely indication that DIY isn't for you.

DIY can work just fine, I am living proof of it. But DIY doesn't suit everyone.
                I mean I guess it depends how much does FreeAgent take care of? From the tutorials/videos it seems to be a breeze, but is that always the case?

Comment

I mean I guess it depends how much does FreeAgent take care of? From the tutorials/videos it seems to be a breeze, but is that always the case?
                  Tutorials tell you how to use freeagent, not how to be an accountant, shifting regulations and figures and the like. The fact you think a freeagent tutorial makes contractor accountancy a breeze is another reason you need to get an accountant.

Comment

I tend to agree with what NLUK is telling you.

To a large degree, it's going to depend on how complex or simple your affairs are. I think you should get an accountant for the next full year. Pay close attention to what they do, then decide about the following year.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

I tend to agree with what NLUK is telling you.

To a large degree, it's going to depend on how complex or simple your affairs are. I think you should get an accountant for the next full year. Pay close attention to what they do, then decide about the following year.
                      tbf I already did that with my last accountant. but there is a nicety about not having to worry about it all.

Comment

Working...
                      X