• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with tax? - Seems I got charged more than a small county

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct from HMRC website -

The emergency tax code is set each year and is a number followed by the letter L. The number is the basic Personal Allowance (£7,475 for the tax 2011-12) divided by 10. The emergency code for 2011-12 is therefore 747L.

Depending on how it's worked out, you might also see '747L W1' or 747L M1' (meaning 'Week 1' or 'Month 1' - whereby you get a proportion of the Personal Allowance over the remainder of the tax year).

747L also happens to be the tax code you’ll get if you are entitled to just the basic Personal Allowance but in this case it is not an emergency code and you will receive the right amount of tax-free pay. See the section ‘When you might be put on an emergency tax code’ to help you decide whether the emergency tax code might apply to you.

When you might be put on an emergency tax code

You might get an emergency tax code if:
    • you've started a new job and haven't got a P45 from your previous employer for the same tax year
    • you've started your first job since the start of the tax year and haven't been receiving any taxable state benefits or a state or company pension
    • you've started a new job but you've had another job or other jobs or received taxable state benefits during the year
    • you've started a new job and were previously self-employed
    • there's been a change in your tax code during the year because, for example, you've started to get company benefits or the State Pension

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      you sure?
      the calculations when you click through all show 44 weeks
      That was my impression too. I think the 1/1000 formula assumes inside IR35 or using an Umbrella, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Not quite. I think that is the salary you need to earn to receive the same cash in your pocket as you would receive from that £40 an hour contract.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 23 December 2017, 19:48.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Not quite. I think that is the salary you need to earn to receive the same cash in your pocket as you would receive from that £40 an hour contract.
          Surely thats what you should be using as a bench mark when comparing salary with contractor rates

Being paid more but loosing the extra pay and more in tax hardly benefits me.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            you sure?
            the calculations when you click through all show 44 weeks
            I stand corrected. Apols.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
            X