• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
    Every piece of news that comes out about tax endorses the sense that as a group we have simply been picked on.
    Reinforced by the unjustified raid on IOM offices and 'arrest' of MrG in London on the same day.

Seems a bit personal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      The latter. If you cash it in you lose any benefit from ever having it.

Once you buy a CTD you're pretty much stuck with it.
      I wasn't aware of that, and it's completely turned me away from the CTD route. I can't think of a single reason to take one out now, especially versus an offset.

Comment

The only saving grace for a CTD is that it allows you to just write the whole thing off and move on with your life.

Comment

CTD

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
          I wasn't aware of that, and it's completely turned me away from the CTD route. I can't think of a single reason to take one out now, especially versus an offset.
          Totally agree. I started talking about CTDs with Mrs Morlock a while back and she was having none of it. She was adamant that we keep full control of our own cash, even if it does cost us a percentage point or two in differential interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
            Totally agree. I started talking about CTDs with Mrs Morlock a while back and she was having none of it. She was adamant that we keep full control of our own cash, even if it does cost us a percentage point or two in differential interest.
            The time to have taken out a CTD would have been long before BN66 came along, when HMRC interest rates were averaging around 7.5%. Getting one now is like shutting the stable door after the horse has long since bolted.

HM Revenue & Customs: Interest rate on late payments pre 05/04/09

HMRC charge bank base + 2.5% (currently 3%), and I can't see rates changing much over the next year or so with the economy going down the toilet.
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 15 September 2011, 12:51. Reason: Correction - HMRC are charging 3%

Comment

Montpelier Circular

I understand a letter is going out tomorrow.

I think you will like it.

Comment

Hector has thrown the towel in? And has apologised?
                Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Brannigan is the new Jeremy Beadle, and it's all been for a new version of "You've been Framed"?
                  Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 15 September 2011, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 16 September 2011, 07:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                      Laughed for approx 1 min

Comment

Working...
                      X