• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Torygraph

Government forced to scrap tax evasion measures - Telegraph

anyone seen this?

Interesting - but for us seems too late. But it indicates government sentiment.
    Join the campaign at
    http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
      Government forced to scrap tax evasion measures - Telegraph

anyone seen this?

Interesting - but for us seems too late. But it indicates government sentiment.
      I found this sentence most interesting:
      Originally posted by From the article
      The Government wanted to introduce rules to prevent the system being used for tax evasion.
      Since tax evasion is by definition against the law, why would new laws be needed to prevent it? Perhaps they've muddled evasion and avoidance again.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I'm pretty confident our's and PwC's applications will be accepted by the Supreme Court. My best guess at timescales would be:

January 2012 - Permission granted
        June - Court hearing
        November - Decision
        Many thanks for that.

Comment

Tax Certificate

OK so we're in it for another year+. That's fine by me, but I'm a bit p'd off that I bought a tax certificate. I bought it when banks were going down like nine pins and interest rates were virtually non-existent. I figured that a tax cert was the safest place for my money.

Now banks are looking more secure and I could definitely get a rate that beats the rate that hector would be slapping on to my alleged debt. My wife is a non-tax-payer so if the money is held in her name we get the interest gross (I was only in the scheme for a couple of years so the sum involved is not enough to generate interest that will take her anywhere near the tax limit).

My question is, if I get the money out of tax deposit and store it in a savings account, and if we eventually lose at the SC, will hector suspend interest for the years that they held the money on deposit, or will they charge me interest all the way through as though I never had a tax certificate in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by mossman View Post
            My question is, if I get the money out of tax deposit and store it in a savings account, and if we eventually lose at the SC, will hector suspend interest for the years that they held the money on deposit, or will they charge me interest all the way through as though I never had a tax certificate in the first place?
            The latter. If you cash it in you lose any benefit from ever having it.

Once you buy a CTD you're pretty much stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JaredM View Post
              I found this sentence most interesting:

Since tax evasion is by definition against the law, why would new laws be needed to prevent it? Perhaps they've muddled evasion and avoidance again.
              This reminds me of s58. If Padmore said what they claim it always said then why was there any need to "clarify" it? Oh, but of course, they didn't clarify it did they? They simply changed the meaning that it always had and called it clarification. Doubtless the OED will catch up in due course.
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Notice recieved from IRD

Hi,
                I recieved a "Self Assessment - Late Payment: Surcharge Notice" letter in the post for my April 2003 tax year claiming 2 lots of a 5% surcharge on I assume the amount I owe.

It says for:

Section 59C(2) unpaid tax
                Section 59C(3) unpaid tax

Anyone else had one of these?.

Not sure who the best person to email this notice at MTM is?,

any help much appreciated

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by weetbix View Post
                  Hi,
                  I recieved a "Self Assessment - Late Payment: Surcharge Notice" letter in the post for my April 2003 tax year claiming 2 lots of a 5% surcharge on I assume the amount I owe.

It says for:

Section 59C(2) unpaid tax
                  Section 59C(3) unpaid tax

Anyone else had one of these?.

Not sure who the best person to email this notice at MTM is?,

any help much appreciated

Cheers
                  I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I have sent you a PM.
                    Thanks, Have scanned and sent it off.

Comment

Legal Tax Avoidance

I guess the inclusion of the word "legal" in this article was just a clarification...

50p tax rate 'costing Treasury £500m' - Telegraph

Every piece of news that comes out about tax endorses the sense that as a group we have simply been picked on.
                      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                      X