• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Actually, it isn't quite the case.

However never mind whether it's a waste of time or not.

MP are the only thing standing between us and the dogs at HMRC.

If people only knew the personal and financial commitment the main man has made to fighting BN66, including taking it all the way to Europe, they would be a heck of a lot more circumspect.

Comment

'Hector's House'

As with the program, which captivated the amusement of the child within us and the sticky situations the 0ld f4rt Hector got himself into, here’s an interesting episode.

A work associate who has participated in the EBT’s schemes for some time, which as you are probably aware didn’t require the income to be declared on a Tax Form, has just received a Tax rebate from Hector… ‘O you silly Hector’ (I can almost hear ZAZA & Kiki ).

With our plight still looming and looking back it was just like choosing ‘Red or Black’ unless that is if the old retro is allowed to win and the time machine lets silly Hector to rectify his past mistakes.
      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Google

Google says it would pay more tax in UK - Telegraph

£8m on £6b = 0.13% tax

Seems "fair" to me

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
          Google says it would pay more tax in UK - Telegraph

£8m on £6b = 0.13% tax

Seems "fair" to me
          And i'm sure Hector has set the dogs on them, actually thats Boll@^%s he would want to focus his efforts on individuals who generate jobs for this country and get back to bullying them.

Comment

Football tax case

Heard a snippet yesterday from someone within HMRC that the tide appears to be turning against HMRC in the case where the clubs have been paying players through offshore schemes.

It was an off the cuff remark as we were talking football and the person in question doesn't know about my situation

Does anyone know if the decision on this has any bearing on our situation

Comment

Football tax case

I should have said that it was actually someone who "claimed" to work for HMRC, as I don't actaually know them.

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post
                Heard a snippet yesterday from someone within HMRC that the tide appears to be turning against HMRC in the case where the clubs have been paying players through offshore schemes.

It was an off the cuff remark as we were talking football and the person in question doesn't know about my situation

Does anyone know if the decision on this has any bearing on our situation
                My understanding is that it mostly relates to CT deductions on payments to EBT trusts, i'm afraid ( not really ) that HMRC got walloped twice with these arangements CT relief for the clubs and no income tax from the employees

Comment

Update on application

There are 2 stages to the application:
                  (1) seek leave to appeal from the Court of Appeal (which is normally refused)
                  (2) apply within 28 days directly to the Supreme Court

PwC have completed both stages (stage 1 was refused). Their application to the Supreme Court has been submitted.

Montpelier are still at stage 1. There was a slight delay which meant it slipped into the Summer recess. The application is with LJ Mummery but the court say we may not get a decision until the start of the new term in October.

Assuming stage 1 is refused, Montpelier would then have 28 days to apply to the Supreme Court.
                  As expected, Montpelier's application to the CoA was refused.

They are now applying directly to the Supreme Court.

Comment

As expected, Montpelier's application to the CoA was refused.

They are now applying directly to the Supreme Court.
                    Excellent news!

Any guesstimate on timetables? I am sure Rhubarb the donkey is a better sage than Paul the octopus...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Excellent news!

Any guesstimate on timetables? I am sure Rhubarb the donkey is a better sage than Paul the octopus...
                      I'm pretty confident our's and PwC's applications will be accepted by the Supreme Court. My best guess at timescales would be:

January 2012 - Permission granted
                      June - Court hearing
                      November - Decision

Comment

Working...
                      X