• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from Zac

I just received an email from Zac Goldsmith who asked if he can relay my email to David Gauke for a direct response.

Comment

Freshfields - good article

FreedomFighter

Might be worth sending that Freshfields article to Zac so he can read it as well as forward it on to Mr Gauke.
      Coming from such a reputable law firm, it holds some weight in explaining the injustice behind Section 58.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        And in case you needed any motivation...

1) Montpelier have heard from a couple of clients, who spoke to HMRC, that HMRC are getting ready to send out 3000 tax demands in the next 4 weeks.

2) I have also heard that HMRC are planning to set up a dedicated unit in DMB, just for the scheme, to deal with enforcement/collection.
        So how do we deal with this when it comes?

I thought it had to go through the tribunal? There will no doubt be 30 days to pay and penalties if we go over.

I wish MP would say something. If it's the end of the road they need to tell us that.

Comment

Originally posted by stuffed View Post
          FreedomFighter

Might be worth sending that Freshfields article to Zac so he can read it as well as forward it on to Mr Gauke.
          Coming from such a reputable law firm, it holds some weight in explaining the injustice behind Section 58.
          Done :-)
          I emailed MP and was told that in order to follow procedures HMRC send a letter about tax being due, if we disagree we need to appeal and it goes to Appeals Tribunal and we then follow the directions laid down on then to arrive at an Appeals Hearing.

Comment

Appeals Hearings?

Anyone with knowledge on timeframes for getting heard by these tribunals?

Possible timelines on what may eventuate would be much appreciated by all I'm sure.

Agreed Montpelier need to advise us better on what is likely going to happen. Stuff HMRC and them reading this, I think we are past worrying about all of this. The gloves are off, it's time we all started fighting

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
              I emailed MP and was told that in order to follow procedures HMRC send a letter about tax being due, if we disagree we need to appeal and it goes to Appeals Tribunal and we then follow the directions laid down on then to arrive at an Appeals Hearing.
              Thought we were already appealing. Are we talking about new appeals... What are our grounds for appeal now BN66 is the law.. where are Montpelier?

Comment

The demands are probably part of the Closure Notice appeals process but it would be nice if that was explained to us.

The only reason I mentioned them is that I thought you ought to know before the brown envelopes start arriving.

At the moment it feels like we're on the Costa Concordia.

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
                  Sorry, bit slow today. Is MP in your post Montpelier, not your MP? I'm sure it is, just like to confirm.

Also, just to prove or cause is not all lost, look at this:

Bob Neill: Backdated port tax burden finally lifted - Local government - Department for Communities and Local Government

Well worth that email to the committee. Let's get this ball really rolling.

Comment

MP vs MP

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                    Sorry, bit slow today. Is MP in your post Montpelier, not your MP? I'm sure it is, just like to confirm.

Also, just to prove or cause is not all lost, look at this:

Bob Neill: Backdated port tax burden finally lifted - Local government - Department for Communities and Local Government

It's Montpelier.

Comment

Have you contacted the Treasury Committee Yet?

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                      What do we want? That section 58 Finance Act 2008 should not apply to claims made before March 2008 (when it was announced)

Remember to mention HMRC's conduct. They *NEVER* mentioned the clause that section 58 modified prior to March 2008. We had no warning at all.

HMRC knew all about the scheme in the late 1990's and sat on their hands. They decided to close the scheme in November 2007 and it was done by March 2008 - ie less than 5 months. They could have done that AT ANY TIME. They took only TWO WEEKS to close the £500m Barclays scheme.

HMRC have no excuse. The MPs will not know this if you don't tell them.

If your MP is on the committee - contact them directly:

There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Working...
                      X