• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is my status am I in contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is my status am I in contract?

Hi everyone
    My first post and looking for some help please,I will keep it brief and concise.

Signed 6 month contract in 2009 which expired in early 2010,[to be honest forgot it was even a 6th month one until I thought about leaving]
    No mention of renewal in contract only did 2 blocks of 12 weeks work a year for last 2 years
    Carried on working until Dec 2010 when I became a LTD company
    Called up company and told them I would be invoicing via new LTD company

This week I decided that I would like to take up other work offers for winter 2011
    Emailed them to say my services would not be available for the next block of work in 6 weeks time
    Received back a lengthy letter insisting I am still in contract and must request release and sign various disclaimers re use of companies /customer account details etc

Now these conditions were in the initial contract

So am in in contract ?
    Am I obliged to comply ?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by contractor123 View Post
    Hi everyone
    My first post and looking for some help please,I will keep it brief and concise.

Signed 6 month contract in 2009 which expired in early 2010,[to be honest forgot it was even a 6th month one until I thought about leaving]
    No mention of renewal in contract only did 2 blocks of 12 weeks work a year for last 2 years
    Carried on working until Dec 2010 when I became a LTD company
    Called up company and told them I would be invoicing via new LTD company

This week I decided that I would like to take up other work offers for winter 2011
    Emailed them to say my services would not be available for the next block of work in 6 weeks time
    Received back a lengthy letter insisting I am still in contract and must request release and sign various disclaimers re use of companies /customer account details etc

So am in in contract ?
    Am I obliged to comply ?

Thanks in advance
    Have committed to the next block of work? If so you are in a contract otherwise tell them sorry and ask if they can bring the work forward.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by contractor123 View Post

So am in in contract ?
      Am I obliged to comply ?
      I guess that if it came to it then the legal question would be around what the tacit contract between the two parties was.

The real question is "Do you want to do business with the client at some time in the future"? If so then I would negotiate a amicable agreement with them, perhaps get a formal legal opinion about what the situation is and what settlement you should come to.

I can't help but think that if you have given then 6 weeks notice that you won't be available then that would be adequate notice to terminate the relationship. Alternatively, you could subcontract the work to someone else and take a healthy cut to cover the costs of managing the subbie.

Disclaimers? They can only benefit the client, not you. Sounds like the client is panicking, these should have been signed up front not retrospectively. You probably don't want to sign these. Perhaps if you negotiate with them then you could reassure them that the confidentiality provisions of the original contract are adequate and there is no need to sign further restrictive documents.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        I guess that if it came to it then the legal question would be around what the tacit contract between the two parties was.

The real question is "Do you want to do business with the client at some time in the future"? If so then I would negotiate a amicable agreement with them, perhaps get a formal legal opinion about what the situation is and what settlement you should come to.

I can't help but think that if you have given then 6 weeks notice that you won't be available then that would be adequate notice to terminate the relationship. Alternatively, you could subcontract the work to someone else and take a healthy cut to cover the costs of managing the subbie.

Disclaimers? They can only benefit the client, not you. Sounds like the client is panicking, these should have been signed up front not retrospectively. You probably don't want to sign these. Perhaps if you negotiate with them then you could reassure them that the confidentiality provisions of the original contract are adequate and there is no need to sign further restrictive documents.

Thank you for the replies
        When I say I commited to the winter work it was a verbal agreement
        The original contract states that these restrictive documents must be signed when the employment terminates
        Hence the question am I still in contract or are the terms of that contract now unenforceable,also as I changed entities the company has no written contract with the limited company that I now invoice them from
        Last edited by contractor123; 5 July 2011, 07:22.

Comment

A verbal agreement is a contract, so they're within their rights. Yes you need to come to an agreement with them.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

OK message received thank you all

Comment

Working...
            X