• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much salary do you pay yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much salary do you pay yourself?

My accountant has suggested £136 (which works out £7072 per year) which is the most you can pay with no deductions for tax or NI (employee or employer).

Sounds good to me. Is this what everyone does?

I know that if you're subsequently inside IR35 then its a problem anyway, but, assuming you're outside IR35, does paying yourself such a small salary and then relying on dividends not be seen as taking the p**s by HMRC? Or is it perfectly acceptable?

Also, am I right in saying that even though you're not paying NI, the assumed NI threshold is 5K or something so that as long as your paying yourself more than this, you're OK?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    My accountant has suggested £136 (which works out £7072 per year) which is the most you can pay with no deductions for tax or NI (employee or employer).

Sounds good to me. Is this what everyone does?

I know that if you're subsequently inside IR35 then its a problem anyway, but, assuming you're outside IR35, does paying yourself such a small salary and then relying on dividends not be seen as taking the p**s by HMRC? Or is it perfectly acceptable?

Also, am I right in saying that even though you're not paying NI, the assumed NI threshold is 5K or something so that as long as your paying yourself more than this, you're OK?
    I pay myself a bit more than £136 a week. i think it's about £590 a month. I don't mind paying a small amount towards NI just to keep things ticking over.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Simple search... lots of answers...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/searc...earchid=394598
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£589 a month is enough to qualify for NI (and therefore state pension) without actually resulting in any PAYE liability.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Simple search... lots of answers...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/searc...earchid=394598
          Sadly pasting a link to the result of the search you have done to try and help the OP doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Sadly pasting a link to the result of the search you have done to try and help the OP doesn't work.
            Oh? Why not? There is some technical reason or they just won't read it? I know it only works if you are logged in (well it does for me anyway)
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh? Why not? There is some technical reason or they just won't read it? I know it only works if you are logged in (well it does for me anyway)
              It doesnt save the terms of the search, just the ID for the search results page created. This times out after a while so you get a blank page come back when you click on that link.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                £589 a month is enough to qualify for NI (and therefore state pension) without actually resulting in any PAYE liability.
                To answer the OP, that's what I pay myself as a salary.

Comment

I pay myself about £750 a month, make sure I pay a little bit of everything (NI, ENI, Tax etc) not sure if there is any logical reason in doing this but it makes me feel better knowing I am paying something of each
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

In matters such as this, I always ask myself 'What would Sir Philip Green do?'

Comment

Working...
                    X