• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoicing end of month - no bus account or VAT yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoicing end of month - no bus account or VAT yet?

Only started this week and its all been a bit of a rush....

As such, it doesnt look like the business account will be open or the VAT registration done.

Am I right in saying that I can :-

1. Get the agency to pay into my personal account first time off. (I guess then I can just transfer when it is open).

2. Raise an initial invoice without VAT, then raise a VAT only one later when VAT registration is done. Do I need to put anything on initial invoice?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

1. Get the agency to pay into my personal account first time off. (I guess then I can just transfer when it is open).

No you need a business account as the money is not yours until you pay it to yourself. Try your personal bank as they will usually set an account up quickly.

2. Raise an initial invoice without VAT, then raise a VAT only one later when VAT registration is done. Do I need to put anything on initial invoice?

Thats right. You don't need to write anything on the invoice but ensure the agency know what is happening.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Only started this week and its all been a bit of a rush....

As such, it doesnt look like the business account will be open or the VAT registration done.

Am I right in saying that I can :-

No you definitely cannot do that for a number of reasons.

First being the agency can refuse as it's not in the business name.

Secondly if they don't they are likely to make all your payments into your personal account.

Thirdly even if they don't do 2, if your business is ever investigated by HMRC for tax purposes you have now given HMRC the right to go through all your personal accounts.

Get into the mindset now that the business and you are separate people.

If you have a good credit record then find a bank who can open you an account the same day i.e. give your account number and also continue opening the other bank account. (HSBC use to, so go in and ask them.) Give the agency the account you have opened quickly and for this contract just use that account. When you have finished this contract use your preferred account and closed down the other one.

I know a few contractors who had to do that. However most of them ended up staying with the account they opened quickly.

Yes you can do that. You don't need to put anything on the initial invoice unless you want to i.e. awaiting VAT number. The VAT invoice needs to be clear listing the payments made and what's owed.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 25 May 2011, 20:15.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You could also use an umbrella company for a couple of months until you have got everything sorted out; at least then your cash flow wouldn't be interrupted
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Just though though. Complicated a little by the fact that I'm going to paid in Euros.

I was planning on opening a sterling and euro account with Cater Allen, so that I dont lose too much when I transfer between. (Any idea how long they take?)

Otherwise, I guess if I open a standard business account somewhere else I'm going to get charged fees for foreign payment?

Comment

Just though though. Complicated a little by the fact that I'm going to paid in Euros.

I was planning on opening a sterling and euro account with Cater Allen, so that I dont lose too much when I transfer between. (Any idea how long they take?)

Otherwise, I guess if I open a standard business account somewhere else I'm going to get charged fees for foreign payment?
            Sorry but from what I can see is you are starting work and are not in a position to get paid. Surely your focus should now be spent speaking to the banks and asking them these questions right now, not asking for general advice on a forum. We can't carry you the whole way. You have to get out there and do some digging with the banks. You want to know how long Cater Allen will take to open and options about Euro/Sterling... then ring them and ask... now!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Around 10 working days is standard, keeping in mind of course that there's a bank holiday next week that may slow things down.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

IT depends on the brolly and the agency to be fair, if they work together there's no reason why all of that can't be sorted out within a few days
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Nah. Thanks for the offer but I dont think I'll do Brolly.

Bank Account application is underway now so fingers crossed for that one.

VAT registration done last week - waiting. Sorted agency out with regards to that. They did try to tell me they couldn't pay me without a VAT reg on the invoice.

Now when I kicked up a fuss and told them I wasnt going to wait 6-8 weeks to get paid, they agreed to pay VAT exclusive first and then pay VAT portion later. I'm assuming I shouldnt include VAT on first invoice (since I dont have reg no) but instead do a separate vat only invoice referring back to first one when I do?

Comment

Now when I kicked up a fuss and told them I wasnt going to wait 6-8 weeks to get paid, they agreed to pay VAT exclusive first and then pay VAT portion later. I'm assuming I shouldnt include VAT on first invoice (since I dont have reg no) but instead do a separate vat only invoice referring back to first one when I do?
                    Yes.

I stated that previously.

All clients whether they are agencies or direct can pay you without VAT.

However if you are VAT registered you have to chase them up to pay the extra VAT otherwise you will be the one paying HMRC from your own money.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X