• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days off / holidays etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days off / holidays etc?

Seems that contracting has changed quite a bit in the 10 years that I've been out of it and back as a permie.

How are clients with days off / holidays these days? Obviously, you dont get paid but when I last contracted you were treated same as permies - request time off and it gets OKed as a permie would.

Or have things changed a little and they client expects none/few holidays during a contract?

Saying that though, as an employee of your own company, arent you forced by law to give yourself a minumum amount of holidays per year? Does that have any affect?

I guess it could get you into trouble even if you didnt want to take the holidays?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    How are clients with days off / holidays these days? Obviously, you dont get paid but when I last contracted you were treated same as permies - request time off and it gets OKed as a permie would.
    Never been in an issue in the 4 years I've been contracting.

Comment

Just a polite/professional email, saying that you won't be in the office on these days. Job done.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Just a polite/professional email, saying that you won't be in the office on these days. Job done.
        WHS.

However I do it verbally first then send an email.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          WHS.

However I do it verbally first then send an email.
          Definitely get an email trail though with agreement, and make sure it's not on the works email.

I once got terminated after a long weekend away with the PM siting it had not been approved even though he said 'Have a good holiday' when I left.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

as an employee of your own company, arent you forced by law to give yourself a minumum amount of holidays per year? Does that have any affect?
            If you are a director of the company then most of the workers regulations, minimum wage etc don't apply to you.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              U dont ask if they've got any objections? Just tell them?

I've got an issue at the moment. Spoke to mgr and asked in general about renewals and he said yes it would happen so I mentioned holiday plans for few months time. His answer was depends on project plan but should be ok.

So I emailed him to confirm - no reply. That was two weeks ago. Since then I've left two voice mails for him (hes in a different office than me) no reply. Sent another mail - no reply.

Do I just think sod it and go ahead? Or is likely to all kick off if I book it and then tell them tough titty I'm off ?

Comment

Seems that contracting has changed quite a bit in the 10 years that I've been out of it and back as a permie.

Or have things changed a little and they client expects none/few holidays during a contract?

Saying that though, as an employee of your own company, arent you forced by law to give yourself a minumum amount of holidays per year? Does that have any affect?

I guess it could get you into trouble even if you didnt want to take the holidays?
                Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Never been in an issue in the 4 years I've been contracting.
                Be careful about using phrases such as "like a permie would". You're not a permie and you shouldn't request holiday in the same way. Don't use Client Co forms, e-mail is sufficient.

Do I just think sod it and go ahead? Or is likely to all kick off if I book it and then tell them tough titty I'm off ?
                I'd just go on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Be careful about using phrases such as "like a permie would". You're not a permie and you shouldn't request holiday in the same way. Don't use Client Co forms, e-mail is sufficient.

I'd just go on holiday.
                  I'm aware that things like this need to be carefully worded.

As for just go on hols. Hmmm. I think I've given the fella fair play so far and hes taking the piss a bit but I dont want to jeopardise things. After all, as time goes on I got less chance or rearranging and Mrs is not going to be happy.

Comment

U dont ask if they've got any objections? Just tell them?
                    I tend to email the PM/Bill payer to let them know I will be unavailable on certain dates and offer them the chance to reply if there are any conflicts with project plans.

The onus is on them to check and reply in a timely manner
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X