• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best value accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What is there to understand, 1-man contracting company is about as simple as a business gets isn't it? No employees, virtually no expenditure, etc.
    Really. Whatever. The basic description can be found here :PCG Accredited Accountant | PCG It's just belt and braces, that's all
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I made a business decision to employ a professional accounting firm to maintain my accounts and advise me, I'm comfortable with the service they give.
      I could save a few hundred quid and do much of it myself, but I get what I consider to be value for money from Nixon Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        What is there to understand, 1-man contracting company is about as simple as a business gets isn't it? No employees, virtually no expenditure, etc.
        Agreed.

I'm with one of the PCG recommended accountants and I get the feeling that I'm just on a "one size fits all" conveyor where they process my tax affairs according to a standard template with little or no advice on efficient structuring of my tax affairs because they don't want to create work for themselves.

That's great for their business but no good for mine. I'll be looking to switch as soon as the year end accounts are done.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Intouch referral

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
          I tried 3 and have found that Intouch are miles ahead of the other two. I deal via Clare.

Best value and cheapest definetly aren't the same thing. You can't really put a price on having good, proactive advice and a sense of security that someone has your affairs in order.
          Hey Kanye, I know this is a really old post but I came across this thread while looking for a new accountant and it looks like I'm going to signup with Intouch. They have a referral programme but I need a name to give them. Someone might aswell benefit so if you PM me your name if you are still with them I'll give them your details as my referrer (it was this thread that got me looking at them in the first place). cheers, Kate

Comment

Give them TheFaqqers name. He normally refers people to InTouch and they know who he is.

Clare has actually left now bit the feedback from them is good and TheFaqqer is a respected member of the forum so that says something.

I wouldn't sit there watching you PM from a post 4 years ago.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wouldnt touch these internet IT accountants thanks very much.

Ive been with my practice for 17 years now.

They arent the cheapest but their advice over those years has proved its worth.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I wouldnt touch these internet IT accountants thanks very much.

Ive been with my practice for 17 years now.

They arent the cheapest but their advice over those years has proved its worth.
                This. I've had the same FCA looking after me my entire business life.
                Your accountant should be a collaborator and confidante IMHO
                I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                  My vote would be for Nixon Williams, my reasons being:
                  • Very competitive fee of £75 per month
                  • They do the work for me, I do not have a spreadsheet to complete
                  • My invoices and expenses are checked over by someone who knows more about these things than I do
                  • Full explanation of annual accounts, they ask me about any odd transactions etc.

I have worked with a few people who used "spreadsheet" accountants and when they have seen the service I receive from nixon williams, they have all moved over, saved time and money.

How do you pay £75 a month with NW? Sure I pay more than that?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    And my advice would be, if you do, try and find a PCG Accredited one, since he will understand your business. A lot of high street accountants don't, which is kind of important if you're looking for technical advice in what is a fairly complex field these days.
                    Not wanting to knock the PCG accredited scheme but are you sure about this?

I chose a local high street one who was PCG accredited and he was completely useless. Not just a little bit, absolutely and completely clueless to how contracting worked etc. In the end I cancelled after 3 months and he paid ALL the fees back because he knew he'd screwed up. Went to NW and it took them a little while to sort out his cock ups.

I remember him telling me I had to keep petrol receipts for all cars I owned (even though I never used my wifes car for buinsess) for VAT purposes. Even thought I was flat rate registered (initially he told me I couldnt do this until I argued!) and claiming buiness mileage. His explanation - not sure why but HMRC investigated one his clients recently and he didnt have petrol receipts.

It seems he'd just been on PCG course just so he could claim he was PCG accredited.

Sad thing was I did moan to PCG at the time. Not interested. They're attitude was nothing to do with us, if hes done something wrong contact his professional body. I tried to explain that no he was just clueless but he was making a mockery of PCG accreditation and they didnt give a rats ass.

Sorry malvy but I'll never trust "PCG Accreditation" for anything. Its just a chance for PCG to sell a course to accountants - it means nothing.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      How do you pay £75 a month with NW? Sure I pay more than that?
                      time stamps!

Comment

Working...
                      X