• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

travel expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

travel expenses

If I'm asked to visit another client site and they offer to arrange flights and hotel directly does that have ir35 implications. Should I be paying and then invoicing them instead ?

It depends on your working relationship. If you can prove you cover Substitution, Control or Mutuality of Obligation then you're outside of IR35 and it won't matter. If you're borderline then it could count against you as it's something an employer would do for an employee.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

If possible, try to avoid their employee mechanism for booking flights etc.

For example, if an employee books it through an internal system, then don't - get someone there to sort it out for you, which they wouldn't do for a permie.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jungleboogy View Post
        If I'm asked to visit another client site and they offer to arrange flights and hotel directly does that have ir35 implications. Should I be paying and then invoicing them instead ?
        I asked the same question awhile ago and some one put it to me that you need a laptop to fulfil your role so they provide it, you need a flight and a hotel to fulfil your role so they provide it. It can easily be argued then that it has no IR35 flag.

As mentioned before it isn't a make or break issue and if you are covered elsewhere it isn't a biggie.

Just on a cautious side though check what they expect you to do with expenses. You should really pay for it and invoice it back to them. They should not force you to follow the same expense policy as permies.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You should really pay for it and invoice it back to them. They should not force you to follow the same expense policy as permies.
          Either you arrange for it and you pay for it, invoicing the expense back, or they book it and pay for it.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Either you arrange for it and you pay for it, invoicing the expense back, or they book it and pay for it.
            I was talking about meals, taxis, parking etc. Out of pocket expenses that you incur. There is a chance the client will ask you to fill in expenses and give them the receipts and so on.... Just worth checking what they intend to do and try and negotiate yourself out of a situation that makes you look hidden permie.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I was talking about meals, taxis, parking etc. Out of pocket expenses that you incur. There is a chance the client will ask you to fill in expenses and give them the receipts and so on.... Just worth checking what they intend to do and try and negotiate yourself out of a situation that makes you look hidden permie.
              For the client, I fill in expense forms and provide copy receipts. When they're approved, I add the amounts to my invoice. I don't see a problem with that.

For MyCo, I fill in different expense forms and provide original receipts. When they're approved, MyCo writes me a cheque.

So for every expense I incur on behalf of my client, I claim (sort of) twice, once to get the money from MyCo to me personally and once to get the money from ClientCo to MyCo.

On the specific question, even if the client books hotels, I think you'll find that you pay for them personally at checkout. I think that airfares are about the only thing they they can book and pay for on your behalf. I don't think that's an IR35 indicator (my opinion only).

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                For the client, I fill in expense forms and provide copy receipts. When they're approved, I add the amounts to my invoice. I don't see a problem with that.

For MyCo, I fill in different expense forms and provide original receipts. When they're approved, MyCo writes me a cheque.
                You still use cheques!!!

So for every expense I incur on behalf of my client, I claim (sort of) twice, once to get the money from MyCo to me personally and once to get the money from ClientCo to MyCo.

On the specific question, even if the client books hotels, I think you'll find that you pay for them personally at checkout. I think that airfares are about the only thing they they can book and pay for on your behalf. I don't think that's an IR35 indicator (my opinion only).
                The IR35 indicator is how you claim the expenses not that you claim the expenses of the client. So as long as you aren't claiming them the same way as the permies you are OK.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No problems with that at all, thats what I do but we do have a lady here with a different agent who is following the normal permie expense route, fill in a sheet, gives original receipts and then gets paid the money to her bank. They asked if we could all follow this process but everyone said no and does as the above.

Our client uses a 3rd party bookng company that gives you a pre paid voucher you print off and hand in so no payment is required so it can be done although we are not required to follow this route.

Comment

Originally posted by jungleboogy View Post
                    I don't worry too much about it. If the company book the flights and hotels then they take the risk/sort out the problems when the trip gets extended/cancelled/rearranged etc. I agree with Clare that it's a pretty minor pointer if anything.

As for the other expenses on trips, I tend to cover them out of my own company's expenses and not charge them back because they don't normally add up to all that much compared to my day rate anyway. The few times I have incurred some big expenses not directly paid by the client, I've just got agreement to book out a few extra hours to cover it rather than going through the palava of putting in expense claims.

I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to travel on business very often so maybe my method is a bit unorthodox, I don't know if I would get away with that long term.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X