• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore Option

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Barrister Opinions

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    The schemes have been approved by a tax barrister who should be fully conversant with the Ramsay principle as it's been around for 30 years. I'd be surprised if there was any mileage in this for HMRC.
    DR my concern is that the schemes are not implemented and/or operated in accordance with the Tax Barrister's opinion and i do believe that the differences between what happens in practice and what is supposed to happen according to Tax Counsel are sufficient for HMRC to take a closer look at certain schemes e.g. as recently as last month HMRC made the statement that they feel that certain EBT schemes do/did not work (even prior to the intro of the disguised remuneration tax in December 2010 which effectively killed off the tax advantages offered by EBT's) and that they are going to challenge them.

Many contractors do not realise that HMRC are a huge/cumbersome sleeping giant and it sometimes takes them many years to "move into gear" BUT when they do you are suddenly looking at 5-6 years of tax enquiries/investigations and unlike Montpelier (who have stood by their clients) some EBT promoters are "one-trick ponies" and will quickly disappear/dissipate when going gets tough.

I hope - albeit chances are slim - that next week there will be an announcement that gives contractors the confidence to be able to return to the "old" PSC/one man Ltd company model and operate with tax certainty and a decent return.
    Last edited by Alan Jones; 17 March 2011, 16:28.

Comment

Further Clarification

Originally posted by Alan Jones View Post
      I have been informed by Darwin Pay (and therefore Sanzar - they appear to be have same owners/managers or the Delivery guys that keep ringing my office bell and asking for Sanzar on 3rd floor when its Darwin Pay on 3rd floor are constantly making mistakes!) THAT they have NOT merged with AML .
      So my "hunch" was wrong and happy to put record straight.
      I have received a letter from a company IPSP Ltd who reside in same building as me and they state IPSP provide services to Darwin Pay Ltd and Sanzar Ltd. Once again very happy to put the record straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Jones View Post
        Many contractors do not realise that HMRC are a huge/cumbersome sleeping giant and it sometimes takes them many years to "move into gear" BUT when they do you are suddenly looking at 5-6 years of tax enquiries/investigations and unlike Montpelier (who have stood by their clients) some EBT promoters are "one-trick ponies" and will quickly disappear/dissipate when going gets tough.
        Montpelier are indeed stand-out performers for their support of their clients. I'm concerned about the image that "HMRC are a huge/cumbersome sleeping giant" and that its therefore ok for them to take as long as they do and have. HMRC have 12 months from the date of return to advise that they are enquiring into a tax return. Once they have done that, it is only right and reasonable for them to be obligated to either get on with it or accept the return. A further 12 month period should be more than adequate for that. They weren't being sleeping giants when they issued the TMA70 notice so why should they be allowed to be after that?

In the circumstances of the DTA arrangements it is obvious that HMRC were so slow because they simply did not have a case and they knew it. They spent longer and longer looking at different unsupportable angles, issuing bullying letters, until they lied their way into getting S58 on the statute books. The arrangements have not been challenged at a tribunal as agreed by HMRC, they even ran away from that. Their actions have been nothing short of deceitful and malicious.

Public bodies, to retain any integrity, need to not only be above that but be seen to be above it. Its not difficult, transparency and honesty amount to everything. Oh, that's exactly what we were with our returns. Doesn't that simply encourage the taxpayer to slip down to the level of the opposition, HMRC? Goodwill is something earned. HMRC have already forfeited any chance of regaining it from me in my lifetime.

If we lived at the same level as the characteristics HMRC have displayed in their dealings with us it would be completely acceptable to hide everything from them.
        Last edited by Emigre; 18 March 2011, 12:48.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Follow Up

If people decide to use these type of Company's which clearly carry risk, how does the taxman actually know who is using them and who isn't. As the Company you are 'dealing with' holds your personal information, does the taxman have access to this data?

Comment

Originally posted by Munchers View Post
            If people decide to use these type of Company's which clearly carry risk, how does the taxman actually know who is using them and who isn't. As the Company you are 'dealing with' holds your personal information, does the taxman have access to this data?
            Schemes affecting UK taxpayers should be declared to the taxman, there are multiple offshore disclosure agreements between countries (pretty much all of them these days) so they can see where the money goes and, of course, it is your responsibility to declare all your taxable income correctly or go to jail for evasion. There is no hiding, the challenge for Hector is to prove any given scheme to be unworkable: they haven't done very well at that to date, but they are changing the rules so they can.

The risks are real and don't think for a moment that the various loopholes and hiding places aren't being turned off.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Munchers View Post
              Under the Disclosure of Tax Avoidance Schemes rules (DOTAS), companies have to notify HMRC before they can market a scheme. HMRC then issues a Scheme Reference Number (SRN).

When you file your SA return, you have to enter the SRN in the appropriate box on the form.

Some of the promoters say loans don't have to be disclosed on the SA return but I'm assuming HMRC could simply request details from the company of all taxpayers who have received such loans.

I think it would be unwise to count on HMRC not finding out.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but if boy George puts the income tax rate up to 32% on salary and on dividends as well (as seems likely) these off shore schemes are going to be rubbing their hands in anticipation of a flood of new users.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Slightly off topic, but if boy George puts the income tax rate up to 32% on salary and on dividends as well (as seems likely) these off shore schemes are going to be rubbing their hands in anticipation of a flood of new users.
                  No chance. All income subject to a single tax regime with no interesting variants or let's pretend offshore options is where we'll end up, with current differentials such as OAPs maintained through the tax free allowance. In about five years...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    No chance. All income subject to a single tax regime with no interesting variants or let's pretend offshore options is where we'll end up, with current differentials such as OAPs maintained through the tax free allowance. In about five years...
                    I think history shows that the more penal the tax system gets (and that's where we're heading) the off shore schemes get more and more business and the more inventive in their structures.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X