• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exchange Rates Timestamp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exchange Rates Timestamp

For business travel outside of the UK the HRMC releases a document that is listing benchmark scale rates mostly in the local currencies.

Now when you account for your travel expenses you have to transfer your expenses in whatever currency into GBP right? What exchange rate would be the appropriate rare to convert it?

If cash the exchange rate on your currency receipt. If by card the exchange rate of the date of the bill receipt. XE.com can provide you with historical exchange rates.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I thought the point of the worldwide subsistence rates is to NOT reimburse simply actuals but the rates so a traveler might not provide receipts for those expenses.

Example from HMRC 490 Manual

2 x 24 hour rate (15.00 Monday to 15.00 Wednesday) 708 Swiss francs
      Wednesday night (room rate) 203 ,, ,,
      10 hour rate (15.00 Wednesday to 09.00 Thursday) 114 Swiss francs less dinner rate 67 Swiss francs 47 ,, ,,
      Total 958 Swiss francs

So the 958 Swiss francs need to be converted to GBP based on the daily rates or the exchange rate at the end of the journey or the beginning of the journey or the date of the claim?

Comment

Originally posted by TaxTax View Post
        Now when you account for your travel expenses you have to transfer your expenses in whatever currency into GBP right? What exchange rate would be the appropriate rare to convert it?
        For bigger things, I charge them to my company credit card and put it through the accounts as whatever amount the bank charges the company for the transaction.

If you take petty cash out of your personal account for subsistence, then get the rates of xe.net and add 3 or 4% to it for the bank commission/charges.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          If cash the exchange rate on your currency receipt. If by card the exchange rate of the date of the bill receipt.
          WSS.

I've always used the actual £ cost from the credit card bills or exchange receipt, it's the only sensible way in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            F
            If you take petty cash out of your personal account for subsistence, then get the rates of xe.net and add 3 or 4% to it for the bank commission/charges.
            You are probably better of using the bank exchange rate at the date of the transaction plus their commission from your statement, as different banks use different exchange rates.

Some are a right rip off and have their own exchange rate plus commission, while others use the Visa/Mastercard rate plus commission and a rare few use Visa/Mastercard rate with no commission.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              WSS.

I've always used the actual £ cost from the credit card bills or exchange receipt, it's the only sensible way in my view.
              Totally WHS> Credit card companies do two things. Charge you for the transaction or make the exchange rate poor so claw it back in that. If you claim the approved rate on XE (which you will never get) you will be badly out of pocket using credit cards.

I also do the same when deailing with cash purchases. I charge it back to the client at the rate I exchanged the money for. Some exchange places have terrible rates like in airports. Again if you use the current found on XE you will be badly out of pocket again.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X