• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working overseas for 2 weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working overseas for 2 weeks

Hi

I am currently contracting in London and my client wants me to train a new overseas team for couple of weeks.

My client is willing to pay for flights and accomodation for this trip

However, I was wondering what I can claim from MyCo. for this trip. Subsistence, food, travel to-from hotel etc

Thanks in advance

Assuming it is a temporary location you are going to work at, you should pay for your travel (from home, including flights), subsistence and accommodation from your company and then recharge it back to your client.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
      Assuming it is a temporary location you are going to work at, you should pay for your travel (from home, including flights), subsistence and accommodation from your company and then recharge it back to your client.
      Any reason why client can't pay for flights and hotel directly?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        None at all.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by decentguy View Post
          Hi

I am currently contracting in London and my client wants me to train a new overseas team for couple of weeks.

My client is willing to pay for flights and accomodation for this trip

However, I was wondering what I can claim from MyCo. for this trip. Subsistence, food, travel to-from hotel etc

Thanks in advance
          I presume they are have agreed they will pay for all the above. I would ask though, some co's, even large ones have some ridiculous rules about overseas expenses whereas some have some pretty generous packages. Find out exactly what they are willing to cover before hand. When you are out there, pay for it yourself, keep receipts and invoice it back to the client providing them with a COPY of the receipts as evidence.

Things to be mindful of (and sorry if you already know this but...)
          Exchange rates. You may pay $40 cash for a taxi but think about what the dollars cost you when you convert back. If you bought them at the airport the rate will be terrible and just using converters can be skewed as they are using market value that you could never really get. With a lot of cash purchases you can get very out of pocket.

Credit cards. Some cards charge a percentage for each transaction, some will just use a terrible exchange rate when changing to GBP. Make sure you claim what it cost you, not what the currency translator uses.

Again sorry if you are aware of these but people do fall foul of these and many other things.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good point. They are needed to do your job just as your laptop, desk which they also pay for etc so can't see why there is a problem client providing you with a flight just like your other bits. It becomes a problem if you have to use some kind of expenses system just as the permies do and have no choice. I believe thats the rule. Better to pay yourself and invoice back if it isn't too inconvenient though.

Can't get your airline and hotel points plus cash back on cards if your client buys it as well
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my opinion, it's more like a procedure you'd follow if you were employed by the client (permie) rather than "in business on your own account".

Comment

Thanks guys

Just wanted to clarify that client is buying ticket for me and booking accomodation. So no need for me to claim anything back...

Just wanted to know more about food, travel from hotel to office etc.

I just rang my accountant and he says I can claim £25 per day subsitence whilst working overseas for short period of time.

Comment

Your accountant maybe talking about the benchmark scale rates found here perhaps? Employment income: scale rate expenses payments: accommodation and subsistence payments to employees travelling outside the UK and HM Revenue & Customs: Revenue & Customs Brief 24/09

Personally, I would suggest claiming for the actual cost of your food and travel as it could be more than the advised rate and you'll have supporting evidence in the form of valid receipts for your expenditure

Comment

If client pays for your flights then client can not claim as an expenses as you are not an employee.

Comment

Working...
                    X